1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trojan dialer

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by sabrinabunni, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sabrinabunni

sabrinabunni Thread Starter

I tried to get on last night to ask question but my computer died. Good thing I have access to another computer. Any way, my computer started to act weird, it would redirect on the net, it would tell me that I had typed invalid URL's, and it was getting slower and my windows were closing by themselves. My brother put on AVG, it said that I had a Trojan Horse Dialer Virus and that it had cured my computer. But it didn't. So now I guess my hubby's going to re do my computer. I want to know if the virus will still be stuck on my hard drive? What is this virus, what does it do? I was also informed that just because my computer was networked through my husbands computer, it doesn't mean it's protected from viruses. What should I use and will it work in a network?

2. MyName

MyName

I'm pretty new to all this stuff, so someone is gonna have to back me up. As far as your trojan I'm not really sure. For security, typical programs are Zone Alarm, Ad-Aware, SpyBot Search and Destroy. Those are the ones I use. This link was shown to me, so maybe it'll help you out:
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Like I said this probably won't help you much, but a little help is better than none I guess.

3. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

What is the current status of the "bad" computer? Can we get a look at what is running on it? With a few hours work, we may be able to save you days of formatting, reinstalling windows and all your programs and then fine tuning the settings.

Go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download HiJackThis. Use Winzip to unzip it, then install and run it. To run, click the “Scan” button. When it's done the "Scan" button changes to "Save Log". Save the log file it creates (it should open in Notepad at that point). Copy and paste the results in your next post. Most of what it finds is harmless, so do not do anything yet. Someone will be glad to help you sort out any of the baddies that may be in there.

IF you get an error saying msvbvm60.dll is missing,
    Download and run the MS visual basic 6.0 runtime files

4. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

In the case of networked computers, if the network is not secure and unprotected, it just increases the odds of more than one (all) computer(s) becoming infected. Ain't networking grand? :D
    You can share files and you can share virii. :D

5. sabrinabunni

sabrinabunni Thread Starter

;) Thank you for your reply. I will try what you suggested. As for my computer, it has been reformatted and reinstalled already(I wanted to up date any way so I guess it was ok:p ) I will say that it was nice to go to a site where you can get help when you need it. Now, does any one have any recommendations as to which anti-virus to use?(I did get some recommendations but is there one that anyone prefers over the others?)

6. TOGG

TOGG

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Look at rollin' Rog's post for a large number of security related programs and their links.

http://forums.techguy.org/t110854/s.html

The two AV programs that seem to be the most popular around here are AVG (free) and Norton (pay)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice