1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trojan Generic.dx!gec keeps coming back after deletion by McAfee

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by nikki19, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikki19

nikki19 Thread Starter

McAfee finds and says it removes the Trojan Generic.dx!gec each time I restart my computer. However it seems to keep coming back as McAfee has to remove this trojan every time I reboot.
    I have to reboot every few minutes, as after working on the internet for a few minutes I get the message ”Internet explorer is unable to display the web page” and I can no longer connect to the internet. I presume this is all part of whatever the trojan does.
    I have an Acer Intel Celeron computer running Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002 with service pack 3.
    When I run the XP diagnostics (after IE explorer won't connect) I get an error message which says that there is a winsock error, and I can run a process which resets the winsock catalog back to the default settings. I do this and then restart my computer as instructed.
    Then a few minutes later everything has to be done again if I want to use the internet...
    Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated!!
    Below is the diagnostic file I get from running the XP diagnostics

Last diagnostic run time: 10/30/09 09:35:01
    WinSock Diagnostic
    WinSock status
    info
    All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
    info
    The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
    error
    Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10055.
    info
    Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
    info
    Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
    error
    Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10055.
    error
    A connectivity problem exists with an installed LSP.
    action
    Automated repair: Reset WinSock catalog
    action
    Successfully executed: netsh winsock reset catalog
    info
    System restart required

Network Adapter Diagnostic
    Network location detection
    info
    Using home Internet connection

Network adapter identification
    info
    Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
    info
    Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection, Device=Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
    info
    Network connection: Name=Stance Global VPN, Device=WAN Miniport (PPTP), MediaType=TUNNEL, SubMediaType=NONE
    info
    Network connection: Name=z-connect, Device=HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
    info
    Network connection: Name=a-connect, Device=HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
    info
    Both Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection
    action
    User input required: Select network connection
    info
    Wireless connection selected

Network adapter status
    info
    Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
    warn
    HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn
    FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn
    HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn
    HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn
    FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn
    HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
    error
    Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error
    Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error
    Could not make an FTP connection.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/872870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice