1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trojan has stopped 'Switch User' from working

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by mortod, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mortod

mortod Thread Starter

I have a problem where if I try to 'switch user' the welcome user screen just sits there for a minute until it times out and then returns to the main Logon screen where all users are listed. If I log out and log into each user in turn, then it is fine.

The event viewer does record an error event ID 1036, 'Terminal Server session creation failed. The relevant status code was 0x102'. I have checked that both the Terminal services and Fast User Switching services are started.

The problem started after a popup infected my computer - symptons included a rogue/phantom iexplorer process. I used 'Anti-Malware' to fix that, but it has not resolved the switch user problem. Please help - I have searched and searched for a solution, and although I have found similar problems there does not seem to be a fix.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice