1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trojan Killed My Mouse?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by jpro69, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jpro69

jpro69 Thread Starter

Well here I am again... I run XP w/o sp2 because I use firefox and thunderbird so I thought I was not as vunerable. Anyway, this system is realtively new to me as I was running 98 up until Novermber. I've had a lot of ups and downs but thought all was well until yesterday. I turned the computer off ( it had been on since jan 23) and when it rebooted, my mouse only functioned on the start menu on the taskbar. I could get a few programs to run using the alt function, so I ran my AVG free addition. This is what I found out:

c:\\windows\system32\kernel32.dll - changed
    c:\\windows\system32\user32.dll - changed
    c:\\windows\system32\shell32.dll - changed
    c:\\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.dll-changed

It seems this information is related to the follwoing:

Trojan horse/ IRCbackdoor.sdbot.vx
    Trojan horse Backdoor. delf
    Trojan horse Backdoor. delf.s
    Trojan horse Collected2.y

There was system volum Information included. so I guess this affects the system restor function.

I was able to delete the files but the problem persists

The only way I can turn the computer off is manually and it will not boot from the AVG rescue disk. It will not boot into safe mode because I cannot click on my account. I keep my AVG up todate yet it saw this virus and did not attempt to heal it. I also use spyware and maleware software...alll up todate.
    I think my neice was on a P2P network and picked up something

I am frustrated. What happened? Can anyone help. I have no mouse and I am doing this from work. email me at [email protected] because I can read that mail on my phone or I will check here tomorrow.

PLEASE????? This is so, so sad.

2. Pandatech

Pandatech

Viruses are normally designed to crash a computer. not to disable hardware. what I would recommend trying to do is right click on My Computer and select properties, then select the hardware tab, and go to device manager. in device manager uninstall the mouse driver and restart your computer. when windows comes back up it will automatically reinstall the mouse driver and you will see a balloon New Hardware Installed and then u should be golden

3. jpro69

jpro69 Thread Starter

I will try this when I get home if I can alt my way there. I will also try to run S&D and Adaware again...thnx

4. jpro69

jpro69 Thread Starter

Didn't work. I decided to take it to the tech shop...

5. jpro69

jpro69 Thread Starter

The good news is that the Trojan I was reading in AVG was ...quarantined; the REAL problem was the mouse died of natural causes. The even greater news is that I got a wonderful new optical mouse and some more memory at a great price.
    The moral of this story is ...sometimes a cigar is a just a cigar.. look to the obvious! :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice