1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trojan virus -DNS charger codec

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Jaime007, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jaime007

Jaime007 Thread Starter

I beleive that this virus was infected through MSN internet explorer. I have 3 browsers,Firefox 3, IE & Opera. All latest versions. It seems to affect IE & Firefox by redirecting unauthorised ad pages.

Although I am running McAfee security suite 7 with auto updates this has failed to identify the virus despite 3 full scans!! However, the free SuperAntispware 4, has found the virus in the users registry HKUS\S-1-5-21-2161517017-103678234-4053370236-1002\software\fcn. The virus was isolated & removed but on restart the virus regenerates. I have manually deleted the registry file in safe mode but again it just regenerates. This seems a viscous virus & well embedded. Other than a complete format and reinstall of vista I do not see any other option. Is there another way guys before I format the HD? I attach some script reports which may help.

Attached Files:

2. Jaime007

Jaime007 Thread Starter

Resolved. Ran malewarebites and identified 7 threats. Found unauthorised start up program in C:\users\computer name\application data\local\iwsakgq.exe which caused regeneration of virus. Once removed, ran CCleaner to remove left over register files. Restarted and ran scans by both Malewarebites & SuperAntispyware which give all clear.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/817506