1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trojan?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jmsralnc, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmsralnc

jmsralnc Thread Starter

• Win2000 SP 4 all patches
    • P4-- 1.6 -- 256Mb
    • McAfee FW - latest
    • McAfee VS - latest
    • MRU Blaster
    • SpyBot S&D
    • System Security Suite 1.04
    • HiJack This!

This has been going on for at least 6 months :mad: Came to this forum on 3/6 and got help using HiJack This! Fixed the problem for 3-4 days, but then it came back. Here it is (gleaned from McAfee F/W log.
    1. Start system -- assigned IP
    2. IP address changed to 127.0.0.1 (loopback IP)
    3. IP address immediately changed to what looks like a valid IP address.
    4. Disconnected from net
    5. Restart machine - cold or hot - IP assigned is the same as original good IP upon initial startup (which seems weird to me -- :confused: shouldn't it be different?)

This problem happens arbitrarily. Sometimes it does not occur for 48 hours. Sometimes it happens 5-10 times per day. Is this a trojan? Should I get a trojan remover?

Please help.

thanks

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Your internet service provider assigns the IP; most broadband ISPs use "fixed" IPs -- they will generally remain the same from connection to connection; most dial-up ISPs will assign a new one from a block of addresses each time you connect. While you conceivably could get the same one on subsequent connections, it is not likely.

Since you are on RoadRunner, I would expect you to have the same IP unless they specifically make a change.

Telling us you have HijackThis doesn't help much unless you include it in the post for review.

edit for what it's worth the IP you have posted here with is registered to RoadRunner, so I wouldn't worry about it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice