1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trojans in memory win. How do I save as many programs as possible?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Hamiltonhound, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamiltonhound

Hamiltonhound Thread Starter

I am writing from my laptop. My desktop (Windows XP Pro, SP3) has been so taken over by memory resident trojans that it will not allow outside communications and will not recognize my external backup drive. Malwarebytes and AVG are on the cpu and report the trojans but can't remove them. I am not able to use email, internet or download the programs you normally request like TSG SysInfo or the removal and repair software from that cpu. Is it possible to download this to my laptop and then try to load it to the desktop? Even so, it would be difficult to upload results to this forum for advice.
    So, Unless someone has a good way out of this mess, I'm ready to wipe and reload Windows, but I use this cpu for art and music work including digital transfer of old family VCR videos and photos.
    So I would like to try to save those programs and the data from being wiped out with the reinstallation of Windows. My last good backup was about 4 months ago, so I'd lose data as well as the supporting programs. Any suggestions?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice