1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trojans removed - any advice

Discussion in 'General Security' started by bsnider, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

I was running XP with the full McAfee package and Adware Pro. Scans with both programs did nothing to help. I used Superantispyware and found 6 Trojans. The Trojans took me off the Internet, but, they were still on the internet and apparently sending out emails, and from the returned emails that I am getting, they sent out a lot of scam using my computer and my email address.

I cleaned out the computer, installed Windows 7 and am now reloading all software. I had used McAfee's backup, which has been very helpful.

What advice can you give me to avoid this in the future?

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

3. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

Thanks, most of the settings I already have and I thought I was in good shape before, however, if they can get into Goggle and other high value sites, I guess I am really just sitting here naked.

4. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

5. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

Wot looks good, but, I already have McAfees site advisor installed. Not sure which one is best, but McAfee's seems to have more sites in their inventory. They have my website bobsmart.com, although the data is real old.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Best bet is to stay away from bittorrent and other P2P for downloading any software. Lots of the downloads are hacked to bundle trojans.

7. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
    Adware Pro is a rogue anti-spyware program, you should remove it. Read this article:

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-adware-pro-2007.html

8. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

There is some confusion here. AdWare Pro is the bad one and obviously copying Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Pro. I am sure the Lavasoft product is good and it is the one I had on my computer. I looked at the website of AdWare Pro and it looks a little shady. Thanks for bring this to my attention.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice