Trojans removed - any advice

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bsnider

I was running XP with the full McAfee package and Adware Pro. Scans with both programs did nothing to help. I used Superantispyware and found 6 Trojans. The Trojans took me off the Internet, but, they were still on the internet and apparently sending out emails, and from the returned emails that I am getting, they sent out a lot of scam using my computer and my email address.

I cleaned out the computer, installed Windows 7 and am now reloading all software. I had used McAfee's backup, which has been very helpful.

What advice can you give me to avoid this in the future?

bsnider

Thanks, most of the settings I already have and I thought I was in good shape before, however, if they can get into Goggle and other high value sites, I guess I am really just sitting here naked.

bsnider

Wot looks good, but, I already have McAfees site advisor installed. Not sure which one is best, but McAfee's seems to have more sites in their inventory. They have my website bobsmart.com, although the data is real old.

Best bet is to stay away from bittorrent and other P2P for downloading any software. Lots of the downloads are hacked to bundle trojans.

First Name
Joe
I was running XP with the full McAfee package and Adware Pro. Scans with both programs did nothing to help. I used Superantispyware and found 6 Trojans. The Trojans took me off the Internet, but, they were still on the internet and apparently sending out emails, and from the returned emails that I am getting, they sent out a lot of scam using my computer and my email address.

I cleaned out the computer, installed Windows 7 and am now reloading all software. I had used McAfee's backup, which has been very helpful.

What advice can you give me to avoid this in the future?
Adware Pro is a rogue anti-spyware program, you should remove it. Read this article:

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-adware-pro-2007.html

bsnider

Adware Pro is a rogue anti-spyware program, you should remove it. Read this article:

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-adware-pro-2007.html
There is some confusion here. AdWare Pro is the bad one and obviously copying Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Pro. I am sure the Lavasoft product is good and it is the one I had on my computer. I looked at the website of AdWare Pro and it looks a little shady. Thanks for bring this to my attention.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online