1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Troube opening Sony Vaio Laptop VGN-A250

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zappa151, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zappa151

zappa151 Thread Starter

I'm trying to replace my CD-ROM/DVD-RW disc drive, but I'm having trouble opening the unit up completely. I have removed all the screws from the bottom. After turning the unit right side up I try to remove the keyboard faceplate and notice Sony must have some clips holding the keyboard on. It is loose everywhere except up at the top in the middle (where the function buttons are on/off, volume etc..). I spoke to Sony online and they admit to having clips there, but will give no hints. One Sony CS rep says he has broken them while opening his notebook. Does anyone have any tips on how to open this notebook without breaking the clips? If they are broken are the screws enough to hold it all together? I can take the notebook in if I have to, but it seems like such a waste of money. Thanks for any responses in advance.

old drive# DW-D56A
    new drive# DW-Q58A

P.S. I ordered the same model, but they sent me this other model number. They seem to have the same specs. Does anyone see a problem with using the Q58A?

2. petebec

petebec

Are you sure that you have to open the computer to put in the drive? Most I have seen just pull out from the front or side.

3. zappa151

zappa151 Thread Starter

Yes the top must come off so I can get to the screws that hold the drive in place.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sony machines are a PITA to swap drives, the top does indeed have to come off. I took one apart a year or so ago, and I remember it was not easy to open it without breaking things.

5. zappa151

zappa151 Thread Starter

Thanks for responding JohnWill. So in your opinion should I just go ahead and try and possibly break a few clips? If some do break does the unit close tight once I replace all the screws? Will there be some places that stick up or are loose? Thanks for your help.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, I'd be real careful about breaking anything, I managed to take it apart without any broken parts. I have no idea how it would have gone back together if I broke some of the supports, but I suspect that's not something to aim for. ;)

7. harukikusari

harukikusari

im also trying to change my CD/DVD RW drive on my vaio laptop. are there some basic steps to opening the laptop up? i see a lot of screws and i havent ever opened a laptop before so if you could give a few starter hints on how to remove the top cover or keyboard that would be greatly appreciated ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!