1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble accessing specific site

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tom.stevenson, Oct 23, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tom.stevenson

tom.stevenson Thread Starter

For the last week I have been unable to access Amazon.co.uk, getting the following every time I try:

Network error
    Unable to request URL from host www.amazon.co.uk:80: Operation timed out

Thinking this was merely a matter of changing IP address I ran Modem Wizard's "Fast IP" application, but the trouble persisted. Thinking that it might be my ISP that had not updated the IP address I connected to the Internet using a different ISP. Same problem! I can get Amazon.com easily enough, so I tried going via its link to Amazon.co.uk, but still no joy. I was just to email Amazon.com to ask what the problem is with its UK mirror Website when coincidentally I received a general broadcast email from Amazon.co.uk's MD promoting various things to celebrate the British site's second anniversary, so I tried all the links there, but again to no avail. Before posting this I emailed a few friends to try Amazon.co.uk to see if they had any trouble, but none had. Any ideas guys?

2. RandyG

RandyG

Hi Tom,

Are you going through a firewall, or proxy server?

What ISP are you using? What Browser and OS?

3. tom.stevenson

Hi RandyG

No firewall or proxy server. My two ISPs are WorldOnline (primarily) and BusinessOnline. My OS is W98 and my browser IE5.5.

Thanks for your interest.

Tom

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    That site seems to be down. A tracert and/or a ping is unsuccessful.

The IP address is 207.171.168.18

5. RandyG

RandyG

I have just typed www.amazon.co.uk and I got through with no problems. I also pinged from UXN Spam Combat and got <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>PING www.amazon.co.uk (207.171.168.18): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 207.171.168.18: icmp_seq=0 ttl=245 time=776.8 ms

--- www.amazon.co.uk ping statistics ---
    1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 776.8/776.8/776.8 ms
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried just typing the address in? Is it a shortcut, or favorite that you are using to access?

6. tom.stevenson

Does that mean that the ISPs that bhesson and I use have not updated their IP addresses, but RandyG's ISP has? If so, what's the point of software that uses IP addresses direct from the browser rather than getting the URL translated by the ISP?

I searched for the IP address of Amazon.co.uk and got:

Domain Name: AMAZON.CO.UK

Registered For: Amazon.com, Inc.

Record last updated on 04-Oct-1999 by [email protected]

Domain servers listed in order:

NS-1.AMAZON.COM 209.191.164.20
    AUTH02.NS.UU.NET 198.6.1.82

WHOIS database last updated at 14:10:01 23-Oct-2000

That's two different IP addresses and yet bhesson and RandyG have the same yet one can access the site and the other cannot. Is this as confusing to you as it is to me?

I have tried with no success to access Amazon.co.uk by:

1. Favourites (result: "Network error
    Unable to request URL from host www.amazon.co.uk:80: Operation timed out")
    2. Typing in the URL (result: "Network error
    3. Using the link at Amazon.com (result: "Network error
    4. Typing in the IP addresses (both 207.171.168.18 and 209.191.164.20 result in "The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.")

I have also been in touch with the technical support at Amazon.co.uk (at least I can get their email to work!) and they said they had someone else saying something similar:

"I had to edit the 'hosts' file to put in the correct IP address (207.171.168.18). I have no idea why the number in the 'hosts' file was wrong or why the correct number didn't work when I tried it in IE5."

Amazon told me: We are unsure as to which file he is talking about and where it located but this may also be something your ISP can help you with.

I've told my ISP and they say it has nothing to do with them!
    Tom

7. RandyG

RandyG

I'm totally at a loss as well, but to try something, you can sign up for free service at www.gateway.com/uk and click on the Gateway.Net on the top navigation bar. There is a Locall POP, so your charges will still be local rate.

After setting up the new account, see if you can access www.amazon.co.uk through that. If you can, then we can rule out your system, and you can concentrate on getting your ISP to fix the problem.

If it doesn't work, then we'll have to figure out what is limited in your Browser.

8. tom.stevenson

You don't think that my inability to access Amazon.co.uk through BusinessOnline (bizonline.co.uk) rules out the ISP? Thinking out aloud, possibly not - maybe because I use WorldOnLine 99% of the time there are settings for the browser that make it seek the IP address from there even if I log on with BusinessOnline? If so, then Gateway won't be much help, but I'm willing to give it a try for the few pennies it will cost.

9. tom.stevenson

Tried Gateway, but still cannot access Amazon.co.uk although the reason is:

"The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."

rather than the usual "Network error
    Unable to request URL from host www.amazon.co.uk:80: Operation timed out"

10. RandyG

RandyG

At this point, I would suggest looking at your security settings. They might be set too high.

Also, go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections Tab, Select your ISP Dial-up and click Settings. Click on Properties, server Types tab, and TCP/IP Settings. If there are any settings in there, then your ISP has you going through a proxy, which could be limiting access to some sites.

the new error you are receiving is one I receive when I visit www.doubleclick.net , and I receive that because I have installed the doubleclick ads blocking software. I can assure you that I can connect to www.amazon.co.uk , so that rules out their server being down.

Maybe someone else can come up with alternative troubleshooting tips, as I have just run out of them.

It definitely seems to me that some setting in IE 5.5 is limiting you.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. [​IMG]

11. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Tom, I'm curious about your Hosts file. Did you have that file before you talked with Amazon or did they have you add their IP address to the file or create the file? Or had you created it before that? What they are doing is bypassing your ISPs DNS site. If you have the wrong IP address in the Hosts file for that site then it would not matter what ISP you use. You won't connect. W98 looks to the Host file first to do name resolution. If it's not found, then it looks to your ISPs DNS server. Can you post the contents of your Hosts file? I'd like to see it.

BTW, your Hosts file should be something like this

127.0.0.1 local host
    207.171.168.18 www.amazon.co.uk

If not, edit it using Notepad. Then do a "DeleteHistory" in IE and delete any Favorites you have for that site. Close IE. Now restart IE and try the site.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Randy, do you know how that DoubleClick "block" works? If not, I looked at it and they simply add the names of the DoubleClick server to your Hosts file and point it to your "Local Host" which is you. That way it is never transmitted to the DoubleClick server. I thought that was pretty slick. The only problem is if DoubleClick adds new server names, then the block won't work. Take a look at your Hosts file. You'll see what I mean. You can actually go into your Hosts file yourself and add any other ad server names you want to block, too.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 10-24-2000).]

12. RandyG

RandyG

Hi bhesson,

I did realise how they did it, and they also included instructions on how to add others. I did notice that www.doubleclick.com is not blocked, but all their links from that sire go back to www.doubleclick.net, which is blocked. I was only using that has a reference to show Tom that it didn't necessarily mean that the server was down. Come to think of it, that could be a perfectly good reason why he is getting problems accessing that site.

Tom,

My hosts file includes:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 www.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 m.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 phase2media.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 ln.doubleclick.net
    127.0.0.1 ad.au.doubleclick.net

now you can see what bhesson was referring to. It also shows why his line <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>207.171.168.18 www.amazon.co.uk <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>will show the correct address to point to.

[This message has been edited by RandyG (edited 10-24-2000).]

13. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Yea, anyone looking at Randy's Hosts file should not confuse that with the way it "should" be. That Hosts file purposely points back to himself(127.0.0.1)

A normal Hosts file would point to the IP addresses of the sites.

Just to clarify this almost 99.99999 percent of the PCs won't have an active Hosts file. You will find a Hosts.sam but it's not active til you remove the .sam from the name. That's the way you want it to be. Unless you know what your doing I would not suggest that anyone create a Hosts file. You can end up with puzzling problems if you don't understand completely what's happening with them. If you understand then it does speed up things if your ISPs DNS server is slow. The real problem comes when sites change their IP addresses. Yahoo, AltaVista and others regularly change theirs. You have to recognize the signs and correct your Hosts file entry or you will not be able to get to the site.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 10-24-2000).]

14. tom.stevenson

Been away for a couple of days guys so I have to digest the last three posts (thanks for the help) and act upon them. It was not me talking about my Host files, but the "other person" who complained to Amazon.co.uk - I don't know what a Host file is or where to find it, although I might have some idea after I've printed off the above and read through it.
    Cheers
    Tom

15. tom.stevenson

Thanks guys! My Hosts file was pointing towards the wrong IP address, which I changed using notepad and now everything is hunky-dory. Good to have you around and it's a great learning process because now I know what a Hosts file is and can check that out should another similar problem crop up. Thanks again.
    Tom

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!