1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble accessing toolbar programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aldago, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aldago

aldago Thread Starter

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with Win XP Home. I tried to add a new toolbar with MS Office so I copied the folder containing the application shortcuts from the start menu (the files open from the start menu) and selected it with the "new toolbar" menu. This has worked on five or six other computers that I use running various versions of Windows but when I try to access the elements of the folder on the new toolbar on the Toshiba I get the following message:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I get the same message if I copy just an application shortcut to the desktop. Never had that problem before. My user profile indicates that I'm an administrator and all permissions (viewed security and permissions in Safe Mode) are supposedly granted. Anybody know what this is all about and what to do about it??

2. 5ndr5

5ndr5

Personally, the way I would create a shortcut would be:

1) Find a working shortcut, right click, select properties then find target.
    2) Right click the selected file and choose create shortcut, cut this shortcut and paste to wherever you wish.

This SHOULD guarantee that the shortcut is working.

Hope this helps

5ndr5

3. aldago

aldago Thread Starter

Thank you. I've posted in 5 forums starting two weeks ago and you're the only respondent. Your thought is very good but that's the first thing I tried with the same result. My next thought is to post in a Microsoft Community forum but I haven't had much success with that in the past. Once again, thank you for responding.

4. 5ndr5

5ndr5

Hi aldago,

Have u tried creating shortcut from the ACTUAL application in PROGRAM FILES ...... OR ...... have u ALWAYS created shortcut from Start->Programs->application, I'm sorry if I sound like I'm repeating myself, but there is a BIG difference (especially permission wise!)
    If not soory, I'm all out !

5ndr5

5. aldago

aldago Thread Starter

Thank youl; Yes, I have tried that but no help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!