1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble After Formating Drive C

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cam740, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cam740

cam740 Thread Starter

WORKING ON A DIFFERENT SYSTEM THAN MINE AND ENDED DOING A FORMAT ON C: ON A NORMAL START UP ALL I'M GETTING IS VERIFYING DMI POOL DATA AND C:\> DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS ASKING FOR. ALSO CAN'T FIND THE RIGHT DRIVE LETTER. THIS SYSTEM IS AWARD/BIOS WITH WINDOWS 98. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

2. rugrat

rugrat

Are you booting with a win 98 startup floppy?

3. tosim33

tosim33

I believe many times after formatting, drive letters move up one leter; C becomes D, etc..

4. cam740

cam740 Thread Starter

YES I HAVE MADE A START UP DISK WITH MY COMPUTER AND CAN GET INTO ALL THE OPTIONS, LIKE SAFE MODE. I DID TRY ALL THE LETTERS UP TO H. NO COMMANDS ARE WORKING ON THIS COMPUTER EXCEPT LIKE AUTOEXE AND FORMAT. DON[T KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT THE WORKING OF A COMPUTER, THANKS FOR GETTING BACK WITH ME

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Maybe I'm not understanding something here but if you formatted the C: drive, then it's now an empty hardrive. Windows and all of the data on the drive is gone. You need to install Windows from the CD. Is that what you want to do, install W98 on the drive?

6. cam740

cam740 Thread Starter

THIS IS MY NEPHEW'S COMPUTER AND IT WAS NOT WORKING AT ALL WHEN HE BOUGHT IT TO ME. I FOUND A WEB PAGE AND RESET ALL THE SETTING FOR BOIS AND CAME UP WITH MISSING PARAMETERS. COULDN'T FIND AN ANSWER TO THAT SO I DID A PRIMARY PARTITION AND IT STOP AT C: ALSO NOTICE WINDOWS 98 PAGE FLASH FOR A SPILT SECOND IN BACKGROUND WHEN TURNING POWER ON. I THOUGHT EVERYTHING WOULD OF BEEN EASED. DO YOU THINK THIS WAS NOT A FULL FORMAT? HE HAS A CD CALLED BITWARE WITH DRIVERS AND STUFF. COULDN'T GET IT TO TAKE IT FOR I WAS IN DOS AND NO OTHER WAY WORKS. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi cam740, welcome to TSG........

If you'd drop to lower case letters, it would be much easier to read your posts....

Bitware isn't going to help you until you get an operating system installed on the computer......it is natural for you to see a windows splash screen if you formatted the hard drive with a windows boot disk....you need to restart the computer, with the windows boot disk, choose cdrom support, if that is how you plan on re-installing the operating system. Do you have a windows installation cd? or floppies?

8. tosim33

tosim33

cam740- Please be aware that when you use all capital letters on a message that it signifies "shouting"!!!!!!!!
    Also-please note that "BitWare", made by Cheyenne Software is an extremely good, pro, FAX program.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice