1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble booting cloned (vista) drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gameman, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Hello All,
    Ok here is the problem, I have a machine here where the HD has a couple of pending sectors. It still boots fine, no data has been lost, regular backups are being kept. I am trying to clone the original HD to another HD using clonezilla (all other cloning software choke and never complete). Clonezilla does, HOWEVER the new drive is not bootable. When I try I am told that there was a problem and into insert my vista disk to fix the problem. Well that is fine IF you have a vista disk. This is a HP machine which as you probably know, they only give you a "recovery" partition/disk which wipes the drive and restores it back to when you bought the machine. They don't give you any Microsoft start up tools other then reverting to a restore point. The guy does not want to wipe and rebuild everything, just clone it over to a new drive which I have done but it won't boot.

A Vista recovery disk would work, but the only one I found is by Neosmart and they want $25 for it. While that is better than buying a copy of Vista, it seems like I should be able to do repair the startup data in another fashion. Would a windows 7 disk work? I am assuming not, and would cause more problems. I have seen tools to create a recovery disk, but again it requires having a Vista disk in the first place (which if you already have a Vista disk, why would you need to build a emergency recovery disk that does the same thing?)

One other thing I thought of: EasyBCD and using that to copy the boot manager info from the original drive to the clone. Although it is strange that Clonezilla wouldn't have copied that in the first place?

Any thoughts?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the problem is really "only" that there is an issue with the boot then a Windows 7 Installation DVD or a Windows 7 System Repair Disk will likely fix the boot problem as well as a Vista Installation DVD would.

3. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Well I know Vista and 7 use similar boot systems, but I wasn't sure if they were THAT compatible. And this seems to be a common problem with cloning a windows HD to another (with vista and 7 anyway not sure about XP) with clonezilla. In all reports I have read, the install/fix startup problems option from the install CD or recovery CD fixed it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice