1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble booting from an external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjandm, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjandm

mjandm Thread Starter

I have primarily use a Dell Studio 1558 laptop. I recently had a hard drive failure. Luckily I cloned my entire hard drive to an external hard drive using Macrium Reflect. I tried changing the boot order in the BIOS so that my laptop would boot from a USB device, but this doesn't work. I also tried using bootsect to make my external hard drive bootable but to no avail. Can anyone give me any help with getting my laptop to run off the external hard drive? The laptop in question no longer boots at all, it crash dumps every time I try to turn it on and boot from the internal hard drive and it crashes when it automatically takes itself into Startup Repair.

Just thought I'd add what I tried to do with bootsect:

Put bootsect.exe into windows\System32

"Open cmd

bcdboot c:\windows /s c:

bootsect /nt60 c: /mbr

diskpart

sel vol c

act"

But the cmd said "bootsect is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

2. DomCru

DomCru

The BIOS in Dell laptop's doesn't usually give you a lot of options so it might not be possible to boot from USB. Presumably you'll be looking to replace the internal hard drive with a working one? If so, you could use a different system to clone the content of your external hard drive to the new internal one and then plug it into your Dell.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice