1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble booting up until machine gets warm.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xgerryx, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

I have a computer here (belongs to a friend) that has trouble booting up. It attempts to boot then crashes and sometimes starts checking the disks, (see attachment). If left on for a while it will stay on for longer each cycle and eventually when it gets warm it will run normally for sometimes a few hours but might crash occasionally at any activity but with no consistent pattern.
    The cpu is a 1000 megahertz AMD Duron, temperature 50 c.
    Current system temperature is 39 c.

I have unchecked "restart automatically" in my computer advanced properties with the hope of seeing a blue screen error notice. So far no result.

My experience level with the above type of problem on a scale of 1 - 10 would be about 2.

Any help appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

From here I would say you are looking at a corrupt registry, and the 'heating' up is the system rebuilding the driver indexes. Does the same happen in safe mode?

3. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

I have had trouble getting it to start in safe mode as it would go through its crash and reboot cycle and then hang for a long time before successfully starting. Once in safe mode it seems to be alright but I had put this down to it just being warm.
    I was thinking more on the lines of a hardware problem due to the fact that on a cold morning it takes longer to come right.
    Keeping an open mind, how do I check for corrupt registry ?

4. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

I should have mentioned:
    Os is XP SP2 and up to date,
    Avast, adaware and spybot are all up to date and find nothing.

For a second opinion I uninstalled avast and installed NOD32 trial which also found nothing.
    I ran HJT which to me appears clean. I could post a log if anyone thinks its necessary.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Gerry, I would question the hard drive itself.

Until warm it may not be rotating at the constant speed required (bearing problems)?

If you ID the drive make, download the diagnostic tools for it from the makers website.

6. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

Hi Kiwiguy

This from Belarc Adviser when it had been running for quite a while:

Maxtor 2B020H1 [Hard drive] (20.49 GB) -- drive 0, s/n B1G07J1E, rev WAH21PB0, SMART Status: Healthy

I'll go and have a look for the diagnostic tools.

7. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For these types of problems, I normally break out the cooling spray and heat gun. With the machine off, I'd start by throughly warming up the hard disk and see if the machine boots normally. You can probably remove the hard disk and lay it cabled up on the bench for easier access. Another test is to have a bootable memory test available and run that first thing while the machine is cool. If it doesn't run cool, use the heat gun to warm up the memory, and see if that helps.

The way to solve these problems is to narrow down the suspects.

9. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

Hi John
    Thats sounds like my next step. I was thinking of pulling the hdd out and placing in a warm place for a while.

10. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

The powermax diagnostic tool (advanced test) says "congratulations drive is certified as
    error free" but the powermax user manual cautions that an intermittent problem could still
    exist. A full Low Level Format remains the most effective test for a drive with intermittent
    problems.

Think I might put the thing on hold for a few days as the people that own it are away and I
    think it might be an idea to discuss it with them before going any further.

Thanks for your help to date. Will report back in a day or two.

11. hewee

hewee

Can you put in another drive to see what happens.

When I was having boot up troubles it started rebooting on me after it got warm.
    I had added the week before a Y power cord because the side case fan on the door was pluged into it but was to short to lay the side down so I had to keep unpluging it and that got to be a pain. But with the Y power cord added I had pinched it the one time putting the side back on the case. It was very hard to see so it too me almost a week because I had looked many time. It was so if the wire was setting just right inside the case it short out and reboot. Other times it had to warm up first. I taped up where it pinched in cut the wire covering and all is ok and now I know better to watch out and make sure to move that wire to a safe place so it does not get in the way when I put the side back on.
    Later same type of thing was going on but it got worse and then it started saying new hard found at bootup. Well it was not the same thing but the PS was going out and I replaced it.

12. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

Update:

According to local techy it was the motherboard.

Thanks to all for your help. (y)

Gerry

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice