1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trouble booting up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vfwfw, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

I have been having an intermiitent problem booting up. Usually it is when I have only recently shut the computer down (ie. within the last few minutes).

When I turn on the power, it appears to commence the POST, with the CD & FDD lights coming on briefly, and then the HDD light comes on and stays on.

Sometimes just unplugging the computer from the wall rectifies the problem, and other times nothing I do will make it boot up, and I just have to wait for half an hour or so. It then boots up without a hitch.

I have a P4 1.8 GHz, 512Mb RAM, Octek MB, Radeon 9200, 40Gb Maxtor HDD (Master), 10Gb Seagate HDD, DVD/CDROM and CDRW.

I have just replaced the 300w PSU with a 400w PSU thinking that might be the problem, however it hasn't made any difference.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I would suspect the HDD may not always spin up.
    Possibly worse when warm.
    You should make sure all data is backed up, as it could become permanent.

3. zeddy

zeddy

What OS are you using?

4. dai

dai

d/l the h/d diognostic program from your h/d manufacturer and run it

5. rockinmale

rockinmale

I definately agree with the others. Backup you data!!!!

Run the hard drive diagnostics disk on both drives. One could be failing causing the system to hang. Always double check to make sure the data cables are properly seated. Then again try another ide cable if you have an extra.

Once you have your data backed up. Try disconnecting all your drives except for the c drive. Boot up and see if your problem is still persistant or goes away.

If it goes away try attaching another drive 1 at a time and reboot. If the problem comes back you know what drives is causing the problem.

I hope this helps.....
    good luck
    rockinmale

6. johnnychan

johnnychan

i had the exact same problem you have just described...i replaced everything and it ended up being the processor getting worst til it finally fried...now everything works fine with the new cpu...hope that helps you out

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice