1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble burning cds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by netrom, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. netrom

netrom Thread Starter

Hi all,

I really hope someone can help me here as Im going around the bend trying to work this out.

Basically, Im having trouble trying to burn cds. I start the burning, and at about 3% it fails. I've wasted about 10 blank disks trying to get it working.

I have a Sony crx1611 cd-r/rw drive which I have been using for about two years. I also have the standard cd rom drive that came with my pc. I have tried burning using both drives and also just the one.

When I try to use Nero I get a message saying "focus or tracking error". And when I use B's Gold it tells me I have an ATAPI hardware error aa040901.

I downloaded the drive tester from the sony site and ran that, and it says my drive is working perfectly. So I don't understand.

I recently upgraded to XP, but I have downloaded all the updates for Nero and B's gold, also the updates from Microsoft. I did try to find out if I needed a new driver for my burner to run on xp but couldn't find any info on it.

If anyone can help I will be eternally greatful.

Thanks heaps
    Kellie

2. Rache

Rache Banned

I assume this prob's occured since going to xp. A couple of things; it's probably a driver issue, so I'd explore the Sony site carefully. Ensure DMA is enabled, plus turn off non-vital b/g progs. If it's not these it may need a burning speed/buffer underwriter adjustment.

3. dai

dai

go into admin tools/services and disable imapi cd burning

4. netrom

netrom Thread Starter

Thanks,

Although I hope I don't sound stupid here, but admin tools in where?

5. Rache

Rache Banned

Settings/control panel/Admin tools.

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

If disabling IMAPI CD doesn't work (please let us know if *it* does), it is likely the CD-RW drive is worn out or dirty.

Sometimes... a replacement drive works.. you have two programs giving you errors.

Also, no reason to use B's Gold. SONY went on the cheap to include that piece of junk software. HArd to use, crashes, non functional... Since SONY started including that, I've stopped buying SONY drives ;(

Samsung is about $50, includes NERO (but you already have it).
    Very nice drive, quiet too.

7. netrom

netrom Thread Starter

Well I have disabled IMAPI and also installed a new IDE cable, and its still not working.

I also have reinstalled the software and still no luck.

I really hope its not the drive.

THanks for all the help guys.

8. dai

dai

check for a firmware update

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice