1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble burning DVDs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Cornish Maid, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cornish Maid

Cornish Maid Thread Starter

Hi, I'm trying to burn a DVD to backup some files (e.g. docs, photos, music), but am having trouble. I use a Compaq Evo N1020v laptop that has a built-in DVD ROM drive. I've tried the following: putting a blank DVD in the drive then going to Windows Explorer. Selecting the files to copy and then pasting them on to the DVD drive (d:\). This then created temporary files and by right-clicking my mouse I got the option to write the files to CD. This gave me the error saying that there is no disk in the drive. So I installed a copy of Nero and tried using their file backup wizard. However, when trying to select the DVD drive, it said I needed to select a valid target??? So I thought it might be because I was using DVDs, so I put a CD-R in the drive. The drive read the CD and automatically opened up a Windows Explorer box showing me that there was already a file on the CD. There was still plenty of space left on the CD however, so I went through the Nero wizard again, but got the same message about having to select a valid target. I'm now at my wits end and don't know what to try next. Is it just me being dumb, or could it possibly be a faulty disk drive? I wonder whether it might be the latter as I've been using the drive to copy my music CDs onto my MP3 player and the drive doesn't always recognise the music CD. Any advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks :)

2. Sponsor

3. Nurseman

Nurseman

It may be a bit obvious, but you say you have a dvd-rom drive? You need a dvd re-writer drive to actually put (burn) data onto a disk!

4. Cornish Maid

Hi Nurseman and thanks for posting a reply so quickly. Looking at the drive on the side of the laptop it says: "recordable" "rewriteable" "DVD ROM" and so I've assumed that I can write to CD/DVD. Have I got this wrong? Many thanks.

5. Nurseman

Nurseman

Seems like you've got the necessary equipment. Bear with me - i'm writing this at work!

6. Nurseman

Nurseman

It'll be able to write to either CD or DVD. You shouldn't even need Nero to be able to transfer/copy/backup files to disk. The way I do it is: -

Insert a blank disk and wait for the drive to read it.
    Open up the disk (through "My Computer"),
    Open my music folders,
    Simply drag and drop them from the music folder onto the disk
    If this doesn't work, come back to me

7. Cornish Maid

Hi again,

I put a blank DVD in the drive, then opened the disk through My Computer and dragged a folder over. It copied okay, but it doesn't actually copy, it's says "files ready to be written to the CD". So then from the DVD (d:\) drive I select "File", then "Write These Files to CD", which opens up a CD writing wizard. It then asks me to name the CD and when I click Next, I get the response "There is no disk in the drive"... "please insert a writeable CD into drive d:\" and so I come to a dead end. What am I doing something wrong? The DVD's are brand new (DVD+R x 16) and I just opened the pack and put them in the drive. Do I need to format them in some way before I can use them? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks for your time.

8. Cornish Maid

I forgot to say that when I insert the disk it doesn't make the usual whrrr sound (as though it's spinning and reading the disk). It sounds more like a stop-start noise - a bit clunky. It's the same noise I get when I insert one of my music CDs and it fails to read it. Do you think I've got a faulty drive?

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows XP can not natively burn to DVDs without some other software installed. This means you can't just drag files to a DVD as you might with a CD. There are a bunch of posts here with info on free burning software. You could try a search.

10. Cornish Maid

Hi DoubleHelix and thanks for your post. I've installed Nero and tried with that, but still no luck. I get a message about selecting a valid target. I use the Nero Backup Wizard and browse to the D:\ drive to select it as the target, but at the next step of the wizard, I get the error message. ????

11. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Open Nero Express and use that to burn as DATA,

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!