1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble Burning Recovered VOB Files to Playable DVD

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by mbressman, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mbressman

mbressman Thread Starter

Ok, so here is my problem: A family member of mine had a camcorder that took mini DVD's and recorded on them (I forgot exactly what brand it was). Unfortunately, this family member apparently didn't read the instructions and so wasn't aware that the DVD's had to be finalized in the camcorder and never did that. Fast forward several years to where that family member has about 50 or so of these DVD's and then loses the camcorder. Unfortunately, none of these mini DVD's are playable in any DVD player and are not recognizeable in any computer.

I managed to use ISOBuster to extract the BUP, IFO and VOB files from these mini DVD's (in most cases it was 1 BUP file, 1 IFO file, and 2 VOB files, but in some cases it was more than one of each file) and can play the VOB files via Cyberlink PowerDVD. However, what I want to do is be able to combine several of these VOB's on to a DVD (since a regular DVD can hold more than one of those mini DVD's). Unfortunately, thus far, all my attempts at burning to a DVD have failed. In each case, there was no sound on the DVD and it only played back on one of my DVD players (which I think is a more advanced one that actually let me browse to each VOB file).

I don't think the existing IFO and BUP files are any good since obviously the mini DVD's didn't play on any DVD player, so I'm wondering what I need to do in order to create a playable DVD out of these VOB files. I thought I could try using DVD Flick, but it didn't recognize the VOB files as valid files to import. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Also, I'm running WinXP SP3, but also have a MacBook running Leopard 10.5 available if there is better software on the Mac OS (although it'd probably be easier to do it on the Windows XP laptop since all the files are already saved there).

Thanks!

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. moper

moper

Try renaming to 'MPG', and see if DVD Flick will import them.

moper

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

you need a vob2mpg converter there are some free programs around
    then you can put all the mpg files in dvdflick to author to a dvd video_ts set of files to burn as dvd
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!