Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble cloning WD NVMe 1Tb

Solved 
4K views 51 replies 4 participants last post by  PeterOz 
#1 ·
This was a fresh new build. My system is as follows;

Gigabyte B450DS3H, BIOS Ver F4, BIOS date 1-25-2019, BIOS ID 8A16BG05,

Ryzen 5 2600X, DDR4-300 16Gb, WD Blue 3D NAND SATA M.2 2280 500Gb drive.
NEW drive WD BLACK NVMe 1Tb drive.

Windows 10 Pro, current version 20H2, build 19042.804

USB Enclosure for M.2 NVMe & M.2 SATA SSD

I’m using an USB Enclosure and Acronis True Image 2021 to clone the new drive. The clone seems to work, but if I install the 1Tb drive and set the BIOS to boot to Windows Boot Manager I get the error "inaccessible boot device". I tried deleting the partitions except for the EFI System and installing the new drive and then boot off the USB enclosure with the SATA 500Gb drive and with setting the BIOS boot to it, but the boot process doesn't see the drive and asks to insert a boot disc.
I wrote the enclosure company and got this reply;
Tips: this enclosure can NOT clone directly between old and new ssd. You need a
computer as a adapter.
1) You can try and clone data of the old ssd to computer.
2) Put the new ssd in this enclosure. ( For new SSD, You need to go into the disk
management and initialize the SSD firstly, then it could be detected and used
normally)
3) Use your computer connect this enclosure and clone these data from computer to
your new ssd.

Have I done the wrong procedure or wrong enclosure?
THANKS again for the help.

Danny

See less See more
#43 ·
YES only 1 M.2 drive that supports SATA and NVMe drives in the system.
from the spec sheet:

1. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2* SSD support)
    * Actual support may vary by CPU.
    * Supports only M.2 SATA SSDs when using an AMD Athlon™-series/ 7th Gen. A-series or Athlon™ X4 APU.

The current 500Gb drive is a M.2 SATA drive and boots fine. The cpu is the AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Thanks
Danny

#46 · (Edited)
I did a clean installed with not much problem. Here's a picture of the drive structure before the install. Since I've NEVER had to "clone" a drive before to a bigger drive I thought this was strange. Meaning the number of partitions. I hadn't "cleaned" the drive before this install. All the other times I've been trying to clone it I would Clean the drive before starting. I did delete all of the partitions to start a new installed. For whatever reason after a couple of restarts, I now have 60Gb free, up from 30Gb. So for now, I'm staying with the old drive.
THANKS for all your help. I REALLY APPRECIATED it.
Danny

Attachments

#47 ·
I found this searching the web. Maybe it's my problem.

Tip: NVMe M.2 SSD to USB adapters cannot be used for M.2 AHCI SSD (M.2 SATA SSD). Please read the product description carefully before you buy an adapter in case that you can't use it. What's more, you need to pay attention to the USB type.

My system is set for SATA Mode in AHCI. I only have 2 choices, that or RAID.
The enclosure is a Sabrent and the package says for M.2 PCIe NVMe and SATA SSDs.
I've contacted Sabrent to verify the enclosure will work, waiting for a reply.
THANKS to all for the help.
Danny

#48 ·
So I got this info from the Acronis Tech Support. My 500gb disk is BASIC. I believe that I have followed these steps, but honestly I might missed something because I'm so confused now, SORRY for you experts that I'm that way now.
Danny

-Dynamic disks cannot be cloned
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-chec... you can check it by using Partition manager .

Note: This is a third party link to share references with you
-Source and target disks must have equal logical sector size To know about logical sector size: https://kb.acronis.com/content/45619
-It is recommended that your old and new hard drives work in the same controller mode (for example, IDE or AHCI). Otherwise, your computer might not start from the new hard drive.
-Disks encrypted with BitLocker need to be in an unlocked state for cloning. Disk cloning of such a disk will fail if the cloning tool requests a computer reboot, as Acronis bootable environment cannot read Bitlocker-encrypted disks

There are two types of cloning Desktop cloning and Laptop cloning

Desktop cloning:
This could be achieved using Acronis True Image or using Acronis Bootable Media
A. Using Acronis True Image application:
1.Launch Acronis True Image 2021
2.On the sidebar, click Tools, and then click Clone disk.
3.On the Clone Mode step choose whether to use Automatic or Manual transfer mode. In Automatic transfer mode, the partitions will be proportionally resized to fit your new hard drive. The Manual mode provides more flexibility. See Manual partitioning for more details about the manual mode.
If the program finds two disks, one partitioned and another unpartitioned, it will automatically recognize the partitioned disk as the source disk and the unpartitioned disk as the destination disk. In this case, the next steps will be bypassed and you will be taken to the cloning Summary screen.
4.On the Source Disk step, select the disk that you want to clone.
5.On the Destination Disk step, select the destination disk for the cloned data.
If any disk is unpartitioned, the program will automatically recognize it as the destination and bypass this step.
6.On the Finish step, ensure that the configured settings suit your needs, and then click Proceed.
After the cloning operation completes, the system will inform you of the next steps to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.