1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble connecting computer to TV for dual display.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by etheth, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

I have tried many things and need some help. My computer has 3 Ports for video output:
    [​IMG]

I also have a cable and a converter:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    What I have tried to do is plug the converter's 7 pin S Video plug into my computer's S Video port. Then I would plug the cable's yellow (video) plug into the converter's yellow port. Then plug the other end of the cable into the TV. I don't know if my idea will never work or my computer has the problems. I also don't know how to set up a TV on a computer.

Please help.
    etheth

2. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

Can someone please help me?

3. kronus

kronus

I wonder if that s-video to rca adapter is designed to go the other way? Like you would connect an analog rca source to a digital s-video in. It should be really easy. Yellow rca plugs are generally a video signal. If it was going to work, you'd plug the s-video cable to the s-video out on the card and connect the yellow rca to the tv. If that doesn't work you might need to buy a new converter box. They are designed specifically for connecting older tvs to new sources, like dvd players and computers. They run about $40. It could also be that your card doesn't support dual display, despite all the connections on the back.

4. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

Isn't that what I said in my first post? What is RCA?

EDIT: Also, my TV isn't old. It has the normal RCA/Composite ports. I think that other port on my computer is a DVI port.

5. kronus

kronus

6. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

Are TV's with RCA/Composite ports old? It seems to me like you don't know what my TV looks like.
    Here:
    [​IMG]

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You appear to have a mono sound input to the TV, if one of those is the audio port.

The "strange" connector you have on your video adapter is a DVI port for a digital input monitor, typically an LCD monitor.

You'll need to go into your Control Panel, Sounds and audio devices, and set the sound to be mono to get proper sound to send out to the TV.

You also need to go into the video properties and configure the system for TV video out.

8. kronus

kronus

It's sort of an alolog to digital conversion problem. You're trying to send a digital signal to an analog reciever through a cable converter. The problem then becomes, does the analog reciever actually recieve a signal. Does the converter cable actually do what you are trying to do? Connect up the cable, and then you'll have to hit up your video card software to make sure it's sending a signal through the s-video out. nVidia drivers have a little built in troubleshooter specifically for connecting tvs. Mess around with the software a bit. The trouble is, s-video is like plug and play. It can automatically detect a device connected on that port and activate it automatically. By plugging s-video into that little conversion cable the video card cannot detect an actual device on the other end of the cable. That's why I suggest a box that's made to do just that.

FYI, rca stands for radio corporation of america. They were the ones who first made the rca cable standard a long time ago. Composite video is a bit different, though it uses the same cable. Composite splits the signal into red green and blue, using three rca cables.

9. Mulderator

Mulderator

That's not an S-video port on the back of your computer, its a port that sends out both video and audio through an adapter (pictured below)--that adapter than breaks that out to a standard S-Video connector with either two RCA (left/right stereo) adapters and an RCA video adapter or an S-Video, mono RCA audio plug and an RCA video plug.

I can't tell from the picture, but if the two "holes" on that adapter are yellow and white, than its a mono audio (that's my guess) or if they are red and white then its a stereo audio output with S-Video output.

I also can't see the picture you took of your televsion, but this is what you would do. If your television has an S-Video in, than definitely connect that to the the adapter using a standard S-Video cable as you have pictured. If your television has ony a yellow RCA plug, then you need to connect that to the yellow connector to the yellow connector on your adapter (and I am assuming it is a yellow video connector) and then the audio connector to the audio connector on your telvision.

But come back and tell us what colors those two RCA plugs are on the adapter.

This is the adapter I'm referring to:

[​IMG]

10. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

11. Mulderator

Mulderator

There will be a choice somewhere in your display properties for sending display out to a TV. If you tell us what video card you are using, someone may be able to tell you where it is.

12. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

Ati Radion 9500 Pro / 9700

13. Mulderator

Mulderator

Check the manual for that or download it from ATI--it will tell you how to enable TV-Out.

14. etheth

etheth Thread Starter

Sorry Mulder! I didn't see your post. I think they are Audio and Video ports. Their colors are black and yellow. I have tried doing what you have said with the adapter that came with the graphics card, and here is what happened:

1. The noise the computer made when it started up was a bit lower and slower like something was running slowly. I suspect that is the graphics card and it is normal to run slower with two displays. I hope that's the case at least.

2. Before it started up, it said that Windows has noticed a hardware or software change. I chose to normally boot into Win Xp.

3. The monitor was really weird colors for a few seconds. Then it corrected it's self.

4. I got onto the desktop. Right clicked, clicked 'Properties', clicked 'Settings', then clicked 'Advanced' and I got into the ATI control panel. I clicked 'Displays' and the picture showed no confirmed connection. I clicked 'Troubleshoot' and checked 'Force detection of my TV' just to see if it would work. Nada. Any help?

EDIT: I also read the manual like you said. It showed me how to do it and i did what it said.

15. Mulderator

Mulderator

Black and Yellow? :confused: Typically its yellow and white or red. Anyway, I am pretty sure that the yelllow is an RCA video connection and the black is the audio. And of course you have the S-Video. Are you hooking up the S-Video and the audio the black) to your TV or the yellow and the black?

You also have to have your TV set to Video Input.

I would try different connections (S-Video, then RCA) to see if one of them works.

BTW--I assume you are connecting one end of that adapter to the output on your computer then plugging the RCA cables into the adapter, then into your computer (and S-Video if you have it)?

Also try booting up without your computer monitor connected.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!