1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble connecting hp scanjet 2300C-USB Connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Foxey, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Foxey

Foxey Thread Starter

Did the installation and everything said it was okay but when I tried to scan it says "An error occured communicating with scanning device. Please ensure scanning device is connected properly and try again"

Checked in new hardware and it has HP EPST Parallel SCSI Adapter. Has a yellow exclamation point in fromt of it. Tells me the device is either not present, not working properly or does not have all drivers installed. Try upgrading the device drivers for this device. Went to update drivers and did search for better driver. Says best driver already installed.
    C:\Windows\INF\EPSTWSX>INF

Don't like to sound dumb but what are the drivers? As you can tell if anyone has an answer for this I don't know what I am doing so please explain step by step.

Thanks

2. dud

dud Guest

What operating system are you using? It could be the actual driver that came on the installation cd needs updating.
    :cool:

3. dud

dud Guest

But there again, just rereading your post I wouldn't have thought a 'Parallel SCSI Adapter' would be needed for a USB scanner?
    What do your usb listings say in device manager?
    And it might still be relevant as to which os you have..

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

hi Foxey,

Have you checked all the cables to make sure all connections are in firmly?

Try this, unplug the scanner's power cord, restart your PC, plug the scanner back in, see if it works.

If that doesn't work, uninstall the scanner sofware, restart the PC, then try reinstalling.

Also, are you using a USB cable to connect the scanner to the PC or a parallel/scsi cable? I'm a little confused because you said USB in the subject heading but the device manager error says 'parallel/scsi'.

oh yes, and what version of Windows? :)

You could also try going to www.hp.com to see if there's an updated version of the scanner software you can download.

BTW, think of drivers as programs that let your PC talk to other devices.

5. dud

dud Guest

oops.. finger slipped... :D

6. Foxey

Foxey Thread Starter

I have Windows 98. Sorry I looked under the wrong thing. USB listings are Ali PC1 to USB Open Host Controller and USB Root Hub

7. Foxey

Foxey Thread Starter

I have checked the cables and scanner seems to work. Have uninstalled and reinstalled three times.

8. dud

dud Guest

How many usb ports do you have and when the scanner is plugged in does it show as device under the usb devices in system properties? ie, if yu have two ports it would show one as usb root hub and the other as the scanner.
    What does that show?

9. Foxey

Foxey Thread Starter

I have two USB ports.I looked under system properties-device manager,universal serial bus controller and it shows:
    Ali PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Root Hub

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    In device manager look for Imaging Devices. This is usually where it will be found under Win98

11. Foxey

Foxey Thread Starter

Wasn't sure where you wanted me to get the information. Went to Control Panel, clicked scanners. Properties show On Port: \\.\UsbscanO While I was there ran diagnostic and it says scanner passed diagnostic test.

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Start button, run, then type msconfig and hit ok...go to the startup tab. Is stimon.exe checked?

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You will find device manager in the system tab of My Computer. Or you can go to settings|control panel then double click the system icon and it will be a tab called device manager. You should find your scanner if it is connected under Imaging Devices. You might also find in there any web cams you have installed

14. Foxey

Foxey Thread Starter

I gave up on installing 2300. Several people had told me that it wouldn't dp a good job of scanning old photos so I took it back. Have not replaced it yet. I think I will get hp4570C. Have been told that CompUSA will install free if purchased from them. Since I had so much trouble installing and when I had installed my previous scanner had the same trouble thought I would go that route. Does anyone have any comments on this.

Thank you for your help. Love this web sight.

I probably need to clear this from the web sight but how do you do it?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!