1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble connecting printer through network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MPeg3, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

I'm trying to set up my computer to use my husbands printer. We have our computers connected through an Ethernet router. His computer is set to use my printer and works fine through our network. I went through Start>Printers and Faxes>Add a printer. I set the printer I want to use as a network printer and clicked next. I had it browse for a printer and it listed my husbands printer. I clicked on it, but it doesn't seem to be able to find the driver for it.

So far, I have downloaded the driver from HP, but it doesn't recognize it. The only reason for this that I can think of is HP didn't list XP Media Center Edition which is what I have. I downloaded for Windows XP and Windows XP (64) both, but neither worked. I then went to a folder on my husbands computer where DriverGuide Toolkit had backed up all his drivers and pointed it to the folder for his backed up printer driver. I clicked on the inf file and it looked like it was going to work, but I then got a message saying it didn't find the driver. I then copied the driver to My Documents on my computer. Still no luck. Any suggestions as to how I could get this to work?

Thanks
    Peg

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Where is windows looking for the printer driver?

Perhaps you could put the drivers for the printers on both computers?

3. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

I have no idea. When the window comes up where I can direct it, I go to My Documents to the folder of the backed up driver. It even has the inf file shown in the search area, but still says there is no driver file there.

4. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Search your windows directory for the name of the driver file. It may be available in the inf, system, or system32 directory .
    If not it is not likely installed on the computer

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!