1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble Connecting PS3 to Internet

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mark24, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark24

Mark24 Thread Starter

OK, I have a DSL modem I use for my internet. In the past I had to unplug the ethernet cable coming from the modem to my computer to use the internet on my pc, or unplug it from the pc and into the ps3 to get online with the ps3. And that all worked fine but it was a pain to keep switching it.

So I got an ethernet hub, so I plugged the ethernet cable coming from my modem into the hub. Then connected both my playstation and my pc to two open ports. The PC had no problem immediatley connecting to the internet this way. The playstation however, would not connect at all.

I tried following a step by step guide to setting up a wired connection and after I did that it worked for a little while, I was able to connect and set up an account with the playstation network and I thought all was fine. Then the system was turned off and back on again and now I am having the same problem, no internet connection. I tried repeating the process I had before and it didnt work, it didnt even let me get to the same screens in the setup as I had before.

I'm extremely frustrated, can anyone give me any insight into this problem?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you have a hub, and not a switch, then that in itself will cause issues just on how it functions.

Now is your modem a modem/router combination device? If not then you may be restricted by your DSL provider. Most DSL ISPs FWIK allow only 1 IP address assigned at a time. So if you are using a hub or switch, then only one or the other devices will work and not the other. In this case you would want to get a router instead of the hub if your modem is not a modem/router combo.

Please can you confirm the make and model of your modem and hub.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice