trouble connecting to AOL after XP repair reinstall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

artchik

My Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop crashed with the blue screen of death. I called Dell tech support and the tech walked me through what I think was a "repair reinstall" of winXP. I was able to get through the process and rebooted to what appeared to be my normal desktop. When I tried to get online, however, I received an error message from AOL. When I looked at the technical information included in the error message, it pointed to an application called "AOLacsd.exe" as the malfunctioning element. I could hear my CPU shift into "high gear" after this, and a check of all my running processes showed AOLacsd.exe to be sucking 50% of the CPU power. I am sure the system crash did something to AOL to throw it out of whack, but I dread trying to work this out over the phone with the techs from AOL. Does anyone here have an inkling about what I should try on my own before I spend hours with those AOL techs? Dell told me I have to talk to AOL about this first. I know, I know...I should dump AOL, but my husband does not like to learn new things and he is "used" to AOL. I have been on him forever to switch ISPs.

By the way, I don't know exactly what caused the system crash. The only thing new or changed was a recent Dell automatic update that was downloaded and installed automatically a few days before the crash.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
AOLacsd.exe is a part of the AOL software and relates to the connection driver, essential to internet connection.

If you call AOL, I guarantee you their first suggestion will be to uninstall and reinstall the software.

I think it's worth a shot. It could easily fix it.

Give that a try first and let us know the outcome.

artchik

Thanks for the quick reply cheeseball. I was thinking of doing that, but I wasn't sure how to reinstall it after I uninstalled it. AOL came preinstalled on my laptop.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
I do think it would fix it.
Just because that component is included in the software.

I take it you don't have the CD then.

You can actually get them free anywhere.

Places that have them include:
Wal-Mart
Target
Blockbuster
Best Buy
CompUSA
Circuit City
Your Post Office
Kinko's

Consider picking one up and then attempting the fix.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online