Trouble connecting to my existing WLAN

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

journey44

Hey everybody!

Im a huge computer guy, so dont worry about how you explain things!

I have a wireless lan that works completely fine with Blowfish encryption. My sister got a Dell Inspiron laptop with its Dell Wireless 1350 PC card. I disable blowfish and allow just the WEP encryption, no go. No encryption it works fine.

I have no problem migrating to what is it...64, 128 key WEP encrytion, but my network needs to have at least wep!

No updates seem to be available for the card, so im kinda at a loss, and if I dont get an answer here ill have to get support through Dell, where of course I either set the LAN up wrong, or something isn't compatible...yadda yadda, standard "It wasn't us" banter....

Anyone?

Look for some thrid party drivers... they may not be supported by dell but they may support diffrent kinds of encryption... You need to search the chip set of the wireless card.

TerryNet

Terry
First I'd suggest using WPA encryption if possible.

On the WEP problems, are you using hex key(s) or a passcode to be translated? The latter doesn't always work with different manufacturers.

journey44

Its a passcode. From the encryption screen for the NetGear router, it has me enter a passcode and it in turn translates it into hex keys. When the laptop tries to connect within Windows, it asks for the key. I pass it the hex key and i end up with "limited connectivity", which of course translates to "SOL".

TerryNet

Terry
If the NetGear router permits it, use Hex, not passcode.

With WEP you can use 1 to 4 keys; it's probably just a typo but I noticed that you said "translates it into hex keys" (plural) and "pass it the hex key" (singular).

Again I advise using WPA if possible. Many routers and adapters can be upgraded via firmware or driver update if they don't now support WPA.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've never seen a router that doesn't offer the option to enter the hex key directly, and Terry is most correct, the passcode is frequently interpreted differently by different brands.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online