1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble connecting to the internet on my laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lucy100, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lucy100

Lucy100 Thread Starter

Hello,
    A while ago my Sony Vaio which uses Windows 7 stopped connecting to the internet. I have had the laptop for just over a year and haven't had any problems since now. I live in New Zealand and am connected to the Telecom network. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the modem as 2 other laptops and 3 smart phones can successfully connect. The only problem is if I try and connect my laptop, the other computers cannot connect.
    My internet security recently expired so my laptop was unprotected for a while before I downloaded another programme, I thought it could be a virus that is causing the problem.
    So if I turn my laptop on, it will say that it is fully connected to the internet but if I click on Google Chrome or Internet Explorer it will partially load the page and then after a minute or so it will change to limited access. If I try to reconnect it will come up with a message saying that it cannot connect and suggest to trouble shoot, of which does not work. However if I do not click on a web browser my laptop will successfully connect to spotify and itunes store but as soon as I try to connect to a web browser these other programmes will stop working.
    I have tried connecting with no other devices turned on or connected and my laptop still won't connect. I have tried turning the modem on and off and leaving it for a while. I have just got back from a weeks holiday and my laptop is the same as it was when I went away.
    I hope this is enough information as I am not very tech savvy so if anyone has any ideas to help me that would be great, Thanks :)

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Did you uninstall the old "internet security" before installing the new one?

3. Lucy100

Lucy100 Thread Starter

Hi no I didn't. My old one was Trend Mirco Titanium Security and it was a years subscription. I just downloaded Avast Free Anti Virus and I know that it probably isn't the best for full protection. Would you suggest uninstalling my old security programme? Thanks for your message.

4. Lucy100

Lucy100 Thread Starter

*I have uninstalled google chrome, thinking that I could reinstall in via internet explorer however internet explorer doesnt seem to be working. My laptop is connected to wifi and spotify and itunes store are working fine but internet explorer is unresponsive, its just blank and wont load a page.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1113681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice