1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble Connecting to the Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Icebeam47, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Icebeam47

Icebeam47 Thread Starter

Hello, As the title says I am having trouble Connecting to the internet.

First I would like to say that I am not Near or in front the the Computer to Immediately Try something.
    Now that's out of the way, Its time for a story.
    I know that it's long, But I'm really stumped on this one and I'm trying to get the Simple Questions out of the way.

An eldery Friend of mine wanted to get online for the First Time in his life so He asked me: "Would my Computer be strong enough?" I said "I will have to come over and take a look". When I got To His house The computer was An Old IBM 300GL (As the one seen Here: http://compvter.it/wiki/IBM_300GL)
    The Computer had no Ethernet port, So we went out And Got a PCI Ethernet card. Plugged in the Card, Then the Ethernet wire, and For the First Time The IBM was Online Successfully. However, The Computer Did not have the Processing power to get online. So I said "I'll see what I can do."

Next Day.

I come back with a replacement Computer. A Dell GX 270 (As Seen here:http://desktops.productwiki.com/dell-gx240/) This Computer Was my Previous Home Theater Computer, So Things were Uninstalled etc...
    This Computer Successfully Connected to the Internet at Home so I assumed no Problems. When Everything was Plugged in, It was now time to plug in the Ethernet. Ethernet was plugged in and...Limited Activity. So, the first Step I tried was to Simply restart the Computer. One Reboot Later, The same Result. Next step Was I reset the Modem. (Battery was pulled as well) Same Result, Limited Activity. So my next Step was I checked the TCP/IP settings, Everything was on Automatic, So I assumed no Problem there. Next Step was I put the PCI Ethernet Car from the Other Computer Into the Dell and see If it made a Difference. Drivers for the card were Installed successfully, Still the same Result, Limited Activity. My next step was calling Time Warner cable, Talked to them and reset the Modem 1000 times and still no change. So I suggested a Reformat of the Dell.

Next Day, and One Format Later.

Come back with the Computer, All updates, Flash player, Java, Firefox, WMP 11 for Windows Xp were installed Offline. Hook up everything and... Still the same result. No activity. PCI Ethernet Card was Removed. Next try was calling Time Warner again, Tech support could find No problem with The Modem and could Successfully See The Computer. Modem was reset again by them Just in case. Still Nothing. Next thing I tried was Ping the Computer itself (127.0.0.1), Ping was Successful, So the Ethernet port was good.

At this point I had No idea what Could be stopping from getting online. I checked the Network Connection Status, the IP Address was there (It was Something like 161.197.47.31), Submask was there (255.255.255.0) and Nothing else. No DNS Server or Default Gateway. The Computer is not Connected to anything else but a Modem. There was no log in info or CD that came with the Modem (So I was Told)

I'm really stuck with this one. The Older Computer Connected Just Fine...Why not the Newer one?

Computer Info (IBM)
    IBM 300GL
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    500MHz Pentium 3
    256MB Ram
    Computer was used for reading and Typing Documents Nothing More.

Computer Info (Dell)
    Dell GX 270 (The Larger Tower)
    Windows XP Home SP3 (Fresh Install)
    2.80GHz Pentium 4
    896MB Ram

Things I have Tired with IBM Computer:
    Install PCI Ethernet Card
    Plug in Ethernet Cord
    Connection Successful

Things I have Tried With Dell:
    Reset Modem (Including pulling the Battery out)
    Reset Computers BIOS to Default
    Reformatted Computer
    Installed PCI Ethernet Card
    Connected Computer successfully to Another Network
    Called Customer Support
    Renewed IP Address 1001 Times
    Made sure TCP/IP setting were Automatic
    Tried Connecting to the settings page of the Modem (Address?)

Things That I have not Tried:
    New Ethernet Wire
    Replacement Computer
    Replacement Modem
    Using my Network Tester
    Throwing Computer in a nearby Dumpster

Attached to this post is a Picture of How the Home is Setup

If you read through all this Props to you!

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To what (modem, router, modem/router, etc.) are you trying to connect?

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. Icebeam47

Icebeam47 Thread Starter

I do not have the Computer near me So I can only do So much.

The Computer is connected directly to a Modem.
    It is an ARRIS TM602G

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Use the Reset button when you switch the device connected to that modem.

5. Icebeam47

Icebeam47 Thread Starter

That has now Been Done, With No change in results. I'm starting to think the modem is bad, but then how did the other computer connect?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    We haven't seen those results (ipconfig /all) yet. :)

7. Icebeam47

Icebeam47 Thread Starter

I will get that to you ASAP I am about 5 miles away from the Computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice