Trouble Connecting Windows 2000 to Windows XP Machines.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

adambaz

Hello,

I am having a bit of trouble networking my computers.

I used to have just 2 computers connected via a router/dsl modem. These are both on windows xp pro. It all worked good, and still does.

I then added a windows 2000 machine to it, and cannot get it to see the other computers. It is on the same name "mshome" and the other 2 xp machines can see the windows 2000 one through my network places, but trying to access it gives me:
\\win2000 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

I havn't a clue how to fix this.

I have a vnc server set up on the windows 2000 machine, as trying to use microsofts remote desktop just didn't work, probably due to this too.

I can connect the the vnc server fine, but I just cannot access the server via windows explorer to get files from it.

If anybody can help i would be very very appreciative.

Thank-you in advance

Adam Bailey

adambaz

Oh yea, i also have put passwords on the 2 xp machines (after trying for a long time getting those to see each other a few months back) and have tried the windows 2000 machine both with, and without passwords.

It is currently on automatic login via TweakUI.

Cheers.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Do you have the exact same usernames and passwords on each machine. ARe the firewalls off on the XP machines.

adambaz

yes, but on turning norton firewall off on the windows 2000 machine i was able to access it via its ip. but remote desktop connection isnt working.

ahh well, its better than it was.

cheers for your help anyway.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online