1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble connecting with one computer, fine with another

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by KCorr, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KCorr

KCorr Thread Starter

Hi,
    My computer at home has never had a problem connecting to the internet. When I went to college, I took the computer with me, replacing the home connection with my sister's laptop (which also had no problem connecting to the internet). Now, I'm on winter break and have brought my computer back home. However, now when I plug in the ethernet cord, I click on internet explorer and cannot connect. However, the laptop still works, which is what I'm on now. So, I know it's something with my computer. I had Zone Alarm, but don't think it's the problem because I disabled it, restarted, and still cannot connect. What could be the problem? I'm using Windows XP for both, IE 6 for both. I don't know what other information I should provide. Thanks in advance for any help.

KC

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

"when I plug in the ethernet cord"

That suggests that you are using a network connection (perhaps to a cable or ADSL router?)

You probably need to reconfigure the network settings, as its likely the PC has the college network settings still.

Give full details of how you connect?

3. KCorr

KCorr Thread Starter

Oh, sorry. Hee. Yes, I have a cable modem. Sorry, I'm not very computer literate. When I left for college, I unplugged the ethernet cord and plugged it into the laptop, so that works. When I got to school, I simply connected an ethernet cord from my computer to my dorm wall, and that's all it took to get connected to the internet. I didn't have to change any settings or anything. When I came home I unhooked the laptop and put back my own computer. However, when I click IE it says "Cannot find server" and I am certain I have no internet connection at all. I thought maybe I didn't plug it in all the way, but nope, everything's plugged in correctly. So I put the ethernet cord back in the laptop and it works, so it's something with my own computer. But I don't know what.

Thanks so much for any help,
    KC

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Somehow the settings acquired at college may have "stuck", and need altering.

I would guess that your cable modem may act as DHCP host, as did the college server, else you would need to change a few things.

What concerns me is that you would have needed to set a workgroup name at the very least, in my opinion. These things don't happen automatically?

Look under control panel - system - computer name and see if there is a workgroup name, check the laptop as well and see what is set.

The default is MSHOME, interested to see what is set on each.

5. KCorr

KCorr Thread Starter

Yep, both are set at MSHome. And at school, it's true, I just plugged the cord into the wall, and voila - internet. I didn't have to set up anything. All we needed was an ethernet cord.

6. KCorr

KCorr Thread Starter

Nevermind, I fixed it, yay. I just unplugged the modem from the power source for a few minutes. I feel kinda stupid now, something simple as that! Thanks for you help though.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!