1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble copying music to harddrive from cassetts

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Salty1259, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Salty1259

Salty1259 Thread Starter

In Windows XP you could open speaker controls and enable the "Line in" feature. My computer is a Dell XPS 420 with Windows Vista Home Premium. I am using a cable from my stereo sound system to the "Line in" jack on the back of my computer but get nothing, no sound. I have plugged a Microphone into the Mike jack on the front of the computer and again get no sound. How do I enable the recording capabilities of this computer?

2. cancon

cancon

Make sure your sound card driver is configured correctly and surround sound is disabled (assuming you have a non-surround sound card). Also check the full volume options in case the Line in jack is muted or turned down.

If you're using audacity, try clicking on the arrow next to the microphone at the top, and clicking on "Start Monitoring".

3. Salty1259

Salty1259 Thread Starter

When I right click on the speakers on the task bar two items show up, #1 is speakers, #2 is "Digital Output Device [SPDIF] High Defination Audio Device". On a Dell tech help site some guys are saying that Dell has locked this feature out on some computers. This computer is just over a year old and it will really irritate me if I have to change out the sound card for a {Soundblaster} card. I did this two or three computers ago. Oh well.

4. Salty1259

Salty1259 Thread Starter

I forgot to add this. After I click on the Speakers and the two Items come up I right click on speakers and a "Test" feature comes up. When I click on that the right speaker plays a sound then the left speaker plays a sound. When I right click on the Icon for the [SPDIF] and the test feature comes up I click on it and on the little vertical bar to the right of the icon shows a sound wave going up and down but NO sound comes out of the speakers.

5. cancon

cancon

You still haven't told me which software you're using to record. ;)

6. Salty1259

Salty1259 Thread Starter

Sorry about that. "Roxio Easy Media Creator Premier 9.1.573". I opened the software and went to the "Audio" section "Convert your LPS and Tapes to digital Format" section. Could not find any sound card listed where their should be one. Went back and checked my cable again and could not find any problems there.

7. cancon

cancon

Try audacity.

The moment you play something, the red bar next to the microphone should start bouncing up and down. Click record and you're off.

I hope it's a software problem :)

8. Salty1259

Salty1259 Thread Starter

I am not familiar with "Audacity". But thanks for your assistance. tomorrow I will be contacting Dell again. Cds and DVDS play on this computer, that tells me the hardware is using the sound card. This is really a frustrating problem. I'v had a computer since the early 90s. First one had Windows 3.1. Wev'e came a long way. First years of the 70s I was running a computer in the Navy in San Diego. I'll let you know how this turns out. Thanks. Tom.

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Audacity is very popular here at TSG .. It's freeware and worth a try.
    Many of us can help with it.
    You should not have a problem recording from Line In ... It can also edit your recording.

10. Salty1259

Salty1259 Thread Starter

Ok. I downloaded and ran the Audacity software. Read the help file to learn the buttons. Bad thing is no "Line in" by the button or anything else there. I am beginning to have a bad feeling there is a hardware problem with this computer. When I look at the sound card in device manager this is what comes up. "Digital Output Device [SPDIF] High Definition Audio Device. It is made by Microsoft. I spent 3 hrs on the Microsoft Tech Friday and could not find out how to activate or enable Line in. I am going around circles with this computer. Thanks for any assistance with this matter. Tom.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Double click your Volume Control ...
    Can you get to .. and set these controls ???

EDIT .. Whoops, after reading again, I see you have Vista - Sorry

Attached Files:

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I can switch over to Vista .. But it's getting late .. And I'll have to do that tomorrow.

First, a question .. Can you play your Cassette in your Dell ... From the Line in ???

Audacity's input control is in Edit >> Preferences ..

Attached Files:

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If you can play your Cassette in the Dell .. The Line In is working .. (I would assume)
    The first task will be to get it setup so you can play the Cassette Audio from your Dell.

The Audacity 1.3.7 Beta version has different input selections .. But I don't think this will help here.

Attached Files:

14. Salty1259

Salty1259 Thread Starter

I have to quit for the evening. Thank you. Scotch Fog.

15. Salty1259

Salty1259 Thread Starter

I ordered a "Creative labs Soundblaster" card from Dell so I would be sure it would be the correct one. Do I have to go into the "Digital Output Device [SPDIF] High Definition Audio Device" and disable the driver for it? I shouldn't have to change any cables should I?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/817640