trouble deleting a folder

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rufuspipe

when i try to delete a particular folder i get:

Disk in drive C is not formatted. Do you want to format now?

I've tried that Moveonboot program but it cannot delete it. I've also done a quick spyware scan which came up with nothing. Atother times, when trying to delete this folder, i've had something like:

Cannot delete: Cyclic redundancy check.

Any ideas?

Oh yeah i'm using XP.

Thanks

Interesting problem. Can you rename it? Do you have rights to it? Try searching the forum. I could swear I've seen similar posts.

rufuspipe

I can rename the folder but not the folder or the exe within it. I guess the problem lies with them.

i've found similar posts but they all seem to be resolved by deleting the file on next boot or isolating spyware.

hmm...does the cyclic redundancy check error mean that my hard drive is damaged?

I'm not sure what the CRC check indicates. In various networking courses I've taken, we discussed CRC and even ran through a few checks using pen and paper, but the purpose of CRC in that context was to verify that a file didn't undergo any data corruption during transfer. If there was a CRC error, that indicated that some of the bits went missing or changed from the original.

I would run checkdisk just to be on the safe side and take note of the results.

rufuspipe said:
hey, can you remind about how to do the checkdisk procedure?

thanks
Start> My Computer> right click on Local Disk(C: ) Select Properties.
On the Tools tab, under Error-checking, click Check Now
On the dialog windows that opens, check both boxes and click Start.
The check disk will start at next bootup or you can restart and let it run.

Start -> Run ->type "cmd"(without the quotation maks)

In the command prompt, type chkdsk

Augie65 said:
Start> My Computer> right click on Local Disk(C: ) Select Properties.
On the Tools tab, under Error-checking, click Check Now
On the dialog windows that opens, check both boxes and click Start.
The check disk will start at next bootup or you can restart and let it run.
My choice would not be to check either of the boxes. I wouldn't want the problems fixed on the first run. I would like to first know if there are any problems, and then, if necessary, run again, fixing on the second run. I don't even remember exactly why I do it this way, just that I wanted to know as much as possible about my system before doing anything to change(fix) it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online