Trouble disabling onboard graphics

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alphaomegase

Hi everyone, here is the problem:

Presario SR1315CL
512 MB RAM
160 GB HDD
Windows XP Home

I just installed a GEForce FX5200 PCI card. I didn't want to lose any RAM to onboard video. I changed the setting in the bios to PCI and uninstalled the display adapter in 'my computer'. However, after uninstalling the onboard display adapter and installing the GEForce, I restart the computer and it re-installs the drivers for the onboard and I still lose RAM to it. How do I get around this. Here are the steps I took following the HP website recommendations.

1. Uninstalled display adapter from 'my computer' > 'properties' > 'Hardware Manager'

2. Shut down computer

3. Install PCI card

4. Start computer, press F1 to enter setup and set video to 'PCI'

5. Install drivers from disk that came with card.

Did I do something wrong or miss a step? Why is it still installing the old drivers for the onboard, and why is it still using my RAM for that? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

looking at pic that compaq shows of your bios, there are three types of memory showing there just under the primary video adapter. Are these adjustable??? Also, go back into Hardware Mangler and see if it re-installed the old video. Just out of curiosity, why did you get PCI video and not AGP??

alphaomegase

In bios there are only two options. PCI and AGP/onboard. I can choose one or the other. I can change how much RAM is used for onboard, it allows for 32, 64, or 128 of RAM for onboard. And the reason I am using PCI instead of AGP is that I bought the PCI for another computer and since I am not using that computer now I wanted to free up the RAM used for onboard so I put it in this one. Also, yes in Hardware Manager it reinstalls the onboard video drivers. Thanks for your response. Any other ideas?

I can change how much RAM is used for onboard, it allows for 32, 64, or 128 of RAM for onboard.
Is there also a facility for 'enable/disable' onboard graphics in the Bios ?, I would imagine it to be near to where you can change it

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I just installed an ATI card in a system with on-board graphics, and there was no option to disable the on-board graphics. The way you did the trick was to tell it which adapter to initialize first, the AGP or the on-board. Pretty tricky, but it worked. :)

alphaomegase

Thanks for the responses. There is no option to disable. And do I try to trick it in the bios or in windows? Any other ideas?

Thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Like I said, I just configured the BIOS to initialize the AGP first, and the added card started working. Before I changed that option, neither of the ports worked at all! :)

Hi,
Start afresh and uninstall the PCI card from 'Add and Remove programs', DON'T uninstall the display adapter at this point.

Then shut down and take the card out and re-boot so bios loads with on-board.

Shut down again and install the new card, boot up and enter Bios to set for PCI,

While in Bios, just place the cursor on the 32/64/128 and press 'enter' see if another option comes up.
If not, just make a note of the PnP setting, either yes/no, It looks like it has to be set at 'No'. *from your Bios setup pic*

Then save and exit, start up and load the Vid card drivers, don't know if you will have to re-boot or not ? when done, check in Display manager and check if it has set up in Display adapters.

alphaomegase

OK, I did what you said and uninstalled it all. I then set Plug and Play OS to "NO", reinstalled card and software but my system RAM is still being used for onboard even though I disabled that. I appreciate the response, got any other ideas?

Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online