1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trouble downloading avg 9

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by athena_427, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. athena_427

athena_427 Thread Starter

have tried several times to download avg 9 ... i keep getting this message and do not know how to fix .........

Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
    Access is denied.

any help would be greatly appreciated ,,,,,,,,, thank you :)

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya athena_427.

I`m guessing you`re trying to get hold of the free version and maybe you should have put the URL that you were trying to download from, there might be a problem with that although I wouldn`t have thought so.

Try this link (below) and click the `Download latest version` in the top right hand corner. I`ve just downloaded it myself so I know it works.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/

Jenny

3. athena_427

thanks for trying to help hon ... same message came up again when did as you suggested ... still access denied

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When the "File Download" window appears, are you clicking Save and then directing the file to be saved somewhere in your computer?

That's the proper way to do it. You want to download and save the file, close all open browser windows first, then double-click the saved file to start the install process.

----------------------------------------------------------------

You list yourself as "Computer Illiterate", so I don't know how much experience you have with downloading and installing programs.

My advice is for your to create a folder right on your desktop and then name it My Downloads(or whatever name you want). If you direct all your downloads to be saved inside this folder, you'll have quick and easy access to them and always know where to find them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

5. athena_427

thank you for your advice ...i have saved the file, and then 'run' so the download can be installed ... there is some problem with the registry (and yes i have used registry cleaner to make sure there were no problems before trying to download) i have defragged, compacted, every thing i could think of but still ... access denied ....

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Never install and use a registry cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup program because you'll wind up with broken programs and a damaged operating system.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya athena.

Put the XP installation disk into the CD/DVD drive and type sfc /scannow (note the space between c & /s) in the Run command. Let it do it`s job and see if it works after that.

Jenny

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!