1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble downloading large files with Windows XP PRO SP3

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by geo791, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geo791

geo791 Thread Starter

I recently had to replace the HD in a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows XP Pro SP3. I rebuilt the HD installing Windows, FireFox, Malwarebytes, and other needed software programs. I tried to download the printer driver for an HP printer which was 70 MBs. After restarting the download a few times I was finally able to get all of it. The client would like the HP software package as well which is 500+ MBs. When I attempt to download this file, about 25 MBs download and then then it stalls and times out. I have tried on different days but had the same result. The laptop is connected to the internet using Charter Spectum with an ethernet cable to the modem. This is a very fast connection at about 60 mbps. The 500 MB download should complete in about 7-10 minutes. Smaller downloads are almost instantaneous. It seems to be specific to the large file downloads that take more time. I have tried resetting the TCP/IP protocol and running the WINSOCK fix. I have also tried disabling the firewall in VIPRE Internet Secuity but nothing I have tried has resolved the download issue. Would appreciate any and all suggestions. I have googled the problem but have not found a solution there either.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Easiest solution is to download the file on to a computer off site using a different service provider. Put the file on a USB stick and take it to the client.

I think the client needs to contact Charter about the difficulty downloading items from the internet.
    1. Does Charter still support XP? That might be part of the problem.
    2. Is there a limit on data downloaded? Comcast has caps in some areas. I'm not sure what happens when you approach or go over the limit because I am no where near any data allowance cap.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1160906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice