1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble editing 3.5" home movie DVD's

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Wainola, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wainola

Wainola Thread Starter

I am using a sony DCR-DVD403 to record home movies. I am trying to use Adobe Premiere Ver 2 to edit the movies but am receiving some type of error at exactly the same spot in the DVD, different DVD's hang in different spots but each DVD replicates its hang in exactly the same spot as before. I tried nero recode but finding it hanging also in the same spot. I tried DVD shrink with the same hang. I am assuming that the DVD's have a glitch in the recording process. How can I get around these error spots to import the material and then edit? I am running XP and am using a sony 820 burner. Ken

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

You are not alone:

As with other miniDVD camcorders, we had trouble viewing the footage (from the miniDVD-Rs we recorded) in Microsoft Windows Media Player, even after finalizing the discs. We were, however, able to play that footage in other programs such as InterVideo's WinDVD and Sonic's CinePlayer 2.0. And as we've mentioned in earlier articles, it's hit-or-miss if you want to reedit these videos in a popular video-editing program. We were able to import the finalized video into the Sony Picture Package proprietary editing, but we couldn't import it into Adobe Premiere Elements, MyDVD Studio Deluxe, Pinnacle Studio 9.4, or Ulead VideoStudio 9.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1836429,00.asp

3. thecoalman

thecoalman

Are you fianlizing the discs?

4. Wainola

Wainola Thread Starter

Yes the disks are finalized. I was aware of the #2 post hyperlinked pcmag article which in fact helped me in the decision to purchase in the first place. I can't help but think that it is possible to edit out the trouble spots using software to make an importable copy that it would be able to be edited. The problem is that I am not familiar enough with the software tools available to know which to try to accomplish this. I am aware that some of the encrypted pre recorded DVD's use deliberate stumbling blocks perhaps similar enough that certain tools could help??? I always have been an optimist and fairly persistent.

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

That it won't play in much of anything or import into the major editing packages sold you on it?

First off Recode and Shrink are not editing apps.

Did you see if you can import your disc into NeroVision (Express)? Are there VOB's on the disc? Try FixVTS then:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=60095

After FixVTS see if Shrink will open it without an error.

There are other tools described in that forum also.

6. thecoalman

thecoalman

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

The article makes it sound like something else, probably Sony intentional. Especially seeing as Sony's own software will work.

8. Wainola

Wainola Thread Starter

The disks are memorex, they have bad spots on playback in dvd machines at the same spot. Is there some way to basically end up deleting the bad areas allowing reediting? all seems to load ok until hitting the bad areas. Sony did advise in using there own DVD's maybe this is why. I used 5 of the memorex as none other were available. I am new at this and the editing software bit but not unfamiliar with computers and again wish to solve it myself rather than bring them to a pro for $$$.
    Got to go now... My wife is after me I'll check again tomorrow.
    Thanks for all your advice.
    PS Got to admit Ive seen a lot but I missed Hendrix damn!

9. thecoalman

thecoalman

Again it's probably corrupt data, can you at least get the files off the disc?

If that is the case and it displays the DVD logo I'd return the product.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice