1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trouble entering WEP encryption key

Discussion in 'Networking' started by yankfan1, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yankfan1

yankfan1 Thread Starter

My wife's Toshiba tablet won't accept the 10 digit key we use for our home network. It cuts off at 8 digits so I can't get her online. How do I fix this?
    Thanks,
    Ken:confused:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suggest you reconfigure your router to use ONLY the HEX keys. Do not try to use the passcode option, it gets translated into different keys by various brands of wireless equipment.

3. yankfan1

yankfan1 Thread Starter

Can you be more specific about how I do that? If I make the change you're suggesting, will the other computers on my network have to be reconfigured to have access?

4. JohnWill

Yep, you first configure the router to use the WEP hex key in question, then you enter the key onto each of the wireless computers that are on the network.

5. yankfan1

yankfan1 Thread Starter

This doesn't seem to address the problem: the Toshiba tablet only seems to accept 8 letters/digits for the encryption key.

6. JohnWill

I really doubt that, unless it only uses the passcode. What is the exact make/model of this unit? I've never seen a device that doesn't accept HEX WEP keys, and the hex key will be either 10 characters or 26 characters, depending on the level of encryption, 64 bit or 128 bit.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice