1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble filtering LAN ports on DG834

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Whitestar, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whitestar

Whitestar Thread Starter

Hi,

As the title says im having trouble filtering the internet on the LAN ports. My network is connected to the internet via a cisco router, then directly connected to that is my DG834 and then my network is connected to that. I have everything set up so that the DG834 is the default gateway for the pcs on the lan. It is set so that all internet traffic goes through the DG834 before it goes to the cisco router and then out.

When i add a site to the block list of the DG834, i can still access it on the pcs, is it possible to make the list apply to the lan ports rather than just the adsl port?

2. coulterp

coulterp

You sure you got the blocking switched on OK? Either with the "per schedule" or "Always on" options. Because the content should then be blocked to all LAN connected PCs. If blocking is switched on and the Apply button used then it could be there is a fault in the DG834.

Isn't the DG834 an ADSL firewall router (i.e. an ADSL modem/router). Can it take a feed from a Cisco router (rather than the expected ADSL line)? Is the ADSL (WAN) Port of the DG834 connected to the Cisco? I am unfamiliar the Cisco and using the DG384 in this manner seems unusual.

3. Whitestar

Whitestar Thread Starter

Hi,

Yeah the DG834 is an ADSL firewall router. Its connected by one of the cisco routers ethernet ports to one of the ethernet ports in the DG834. Yeah it is a bit strange to use the DG834 like this, but it was given to me and i can find another use for it really. I know i would have a lot more versatility with filtering on the cisco router, but i dont have acces to its settings.

4. coulterp

coulterp

When you say "one of the cisco routers ethernet ports to one of the ethernet ports in the DG834" you mean the Cisco is plugged to a LAN ethernet port on the DG834 and you are in fact not using the WAN ethernet port?
    I would think blocking on the DG834 will be though the WAN port (how else to provide a LAN-side block) which would explain why setting keyword blocking is in fact not doing anything for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice