Trouble formatting Windows XP pc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lexical

My dad is trying to format his windows xp pc before getting rid of it. He has the XP disc and has tried the 'press any key to boot cd' during start up but nothing happens. We thought it was a problem with the wireless keyboard but have borrowed another one from elsewhere and it will still not work.

Could anyone tell me if there is another way of formatting the pc. In simple terms please, I'm not great with computers but can follow basic instructions!

Thanks

etaf

Wayne
'press any key to boot cd' during start up but nothing happens.
when you nothing happens - the message stays on the screen

what is the XP disk called

Its possible he may have a recovery partition, unlikely if he has the disk as part of the original package

whats the make and exact model of the PC

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You may need to use a PS/2 keyboard.

---------------------------------------------------------

When you say your dad is getting rid of that computer, is he planning to donate it to someone or dispose of it?

----------------------------------------------------------

Here is a good pictorial guide for doing a clean reinstall of Windows XP.

----------------------------------------------------------

Lexical

Thanks for replying.

After spending all morning looking at it, I think I've managed to get it sorted. It was to do with the USB keyboard. Changed the settings in bios (I think, really no idea, I just followed some instructions I found on Google :eek:) and everything worked fine (except for the product key was not recognised but that's another story!)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online