1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble formatting Windows XP pc

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lexical, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lexical

Lexical Thread Starter

My dad is trying to format his windows xp pc before getting rid of it. He has the XP disc and has tried the 'press any key to boot cd' during start up but nothing happens. We thought it was a problem with the wireless keyboard but have borrowed another one from elsewhere and it will still not work.

Could anyone tell me if there is another way of formatting the pc. In simple terms please, I'm not great with computers but can follow basic instructions!

Thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    when you nothing happens - the message stays on the screen

what is the XP disk called

Its possible he may have a recovery partition, unlikely if he has the disk as part of the original package

whats the make and exact model of the PC

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You may need to use a PS/2 keyboard.

---------------------------------------------------------

When you say your dad is getting rid of that computer, is he planning to donate it to someone or dispose of it?

----------------------------------------------------------

Here is a good pictorial guide for doing a clean reinstall of Windows XP.

----------------------------------------------------------

4. Lexical

Lexical Thread Starter

Thanks for replying.

After spending all morning looking at it, I think I've managed to get it sorted. It was to do with the USB keyboard. Changed the settings in bios (I think, really no idea, I just followed some instructions I found on Google :eek:) and everything worked fine (except for the product key was not recognised but that's another story!)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!