1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble getting internet with new laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JoshMcg, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoshMcg

JoshMcg Thread Starter

I just bought my girlfriend a new HP laptop with Windows 7 and we catch a wireless signal at her house and my work. But, at my place, it doesn't seem to work. I just got a new D-Link wireless router, it's all setup and is working fine, but I can't get her laptop to catch a signal from it. The laptop won't even work when I plug the ethernet cord directly into it either. I've tried everything I can think of and now I'm stumped...can anyone help me on this one?

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

That is a strange one.
    Did you limit your D-Link to X? number of available connections or users?
    Did you try unpluging your Modem and then your D-Link, wait 10 seconds, replug your Modem, make sure to Wait until the Blinking lights become solid before reconnecting your DLink

Does your DLink require a Password or Passphrase for each computer?

Ray

3. JoshMcg

JoshMcg Thread Starter

I didn't see anything that would tell me the limit on the number of users for the router. I haven't tried the reboot of the modem and router yet, I can try that one first, since it's an easy one. And the password is only required when trying to connect to the signal, especially since there is about 9 other wireless signals from my neighbors and whatnot. But, I'll try the reboot first and we'll go from there. Thanks Ray

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Other possibility is mac address filtering on the router.If on,disable it.
    Any error msgs when you try to connect ?
    Let's see this from the failing pc
    Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. JoshMcg

JoshMcg Thread Starter

Ok, after rebooting the modem and router we were able to get an internet connection straight from the ethernet, but still nothing thru the wireless router. As far trying to copy and paste the info from the CMD window, Pedro for some reason it will highlight, but won't let me copy and paste it at all.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You mean it will not let you press the Enter key? Or do you mean that you do press Enter but the contents are not copied to the clipboard?

7. JoshMcg

JoshMcg Thread Starter

Once the info is highlighted and I hit enter, it becomes unhighlighted and doesn't copy to the clipboard or anywhere. I even tried ctrl-C and ctrl-V..nothing works. Also, I'm not sure if it makes a difference but, I notice that my router emits an 802.11N while the other signals in my area are 802.11G. And I believe the laptop is G as well. Should that make a difference at all? And if it is, is there a way to change the router from N to G?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have the router's wireless mode set to n only and do not have an n adapter then, yes, you need to change the wireless mode to g or to a mixture that includes g.

9. Unktone

Unktone

Have you ever had other people bring their laptops over and connect to your network? Sometimes you have to contact your ISP to let them know that you need to allow for more IP addresses to be available for you. Try connecting with her laptop when all your computers are off and/or not connected to the internet. If it works, then you know you have to call your ISP.

The G signal should connect to the N no problem because it is still an 802.11. The only downfall you should experience is if you have a single band router and there is a G device connected, all the other devices can only operate at G speed.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!