1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trouble getting on cable internet (networked)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mac_comp, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mac_comp

mac_comp Thread Starter

hey, hopefully someone can help me.

my computer is on a hub shared with a bunch of other guys. we've had some trouble with connecting to the internet. it's never all of us, but it seems to be a roving problem. my computer is the one experiencing the problems now, and it has been for about 5 days now. i've tried resetting the hub and my computer and switching the cables, etc., but nothing is working. one of my roommates said that he thinks our hub is messing with our IP addresses and switching them.
    i was just wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to fix this or at least get my computer back on-line.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

2. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

prolly not what ur lookin to hear, but im thinkin a router mite be ur best bet for this situation. it wood evenly distributed ur connection, and its rather reliable... just my 2 cents tho :)

3. mac_comp

mac_comp Thread Starter

thanks yellow grrl,
    but we have a router as well. it's hooked up from the router to the hub

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A hub does nothing to the data passing in normal operation. It's quite possible you have defective hardware somewhere, perhaps the hub. Personally, I'd be looking for issues with the setup of the router...

5. io_robert

io_robert

Telnet the router to get into its setup. You will have to consult your manual to get the manufacturer set login and password to access setup. There should be a reset to defaults setting. Other than that I wouldn't really play around in there unless you know what you are doing, as the router is designed to handle things without user intervention. I agree though with john that something may be defective.

6. io_robert

io_robert

Just another suggestion. The reason why this randomly happens could be due to the DHCP component. Are you running a DHCP server like windows NT server?. Perhaps look into this. If you don't then use DHCP on each PC instead of assigning static addresses. Then use your router as the DHCP server which will automatically configure the default gateway and dns server for each pc.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice