1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble initiating MS Outlook 2019

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by AnObserver, Sep 17, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. AnObserver

AnObserver Thread Starter

Last weekend I upgraded my desktop from MS Office Professional 2010 to Microsoft Office Professional 2019. The upgrade went well and most of the components (Word, Excel, Access) are functioning normally. However, I am encountering a problem with Outlook 2019.

I use Outlook for my mail client with four email accounts, dozens of mail rules and thousands of emails maintained in four separate PSTs. In an identical upgrade on my laptop with a similar mail setup, the first time I accessed Outlook, it 'found' my existing files and opened right up. When I try to open Outlook on the desktop, it prompts me to enter an email address and tries to do a new email account setup. I am unable to access any other part of Outlook without a new setup.

The Outlook PSTs are in the C:\Users\username\Documents\Outlook Files folder. I am logged on as 'username'.

The Outlook PSTs were backed up before the upgrade. They could be restored but that does not seem necessary as their last update dates are prior to the upgrade.

Computer: Dell Optiplex 7050
    O/S: Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7 last month), all updates applies
    Software: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019, all updates applied
    SFC run with no errors found

When I upgraded from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2019 on my laptop, there were no setup changes or adjustments required and the data files remained in the same location. A similar situation exists on my desktop except Outlook can 'find my existing files.

Any ideas?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What happens if you were to go to your PST files in "File Explorer" and double click one of them?

3. AnObserver

>> What happens if you were to go to your PST files in "File Explorer" and double click one of them? <<

I double clicked on one of the Outlook PST files. I also right clicked on one of the files, then clicked on Open with | Outlook. Both approaches yield this message: "Outlook data files must be open within Outlook". It appears that PST files are not executable.

Along the same line I sought the executable module. It resides in c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office 16\Outlook.exe. When I double clicked on this file, I got the box asking to enter a new email address (same as clicking on the Task Bar icon for Outlook.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Well it appears to me that it is NOT opening any of your current PST files.
    What happens if you cancel out in adding a new email address?

If it does open Outlook, then you can browser to your current PST files and select them to be included in the new setup.

5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

AFAIK.....you can't literally upgrade an Office Suite. You have to uninstall the 2010 first and then reinstall 2019. Unless this procedure has change.......it's been that way up to 2016. I have to do this from 2003 to 2016.

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Do you have both installed?

7. AnObserver

Dave

There certainly is no evidence that Outlook 2019 is opening any of my four existing .PST files; the last modified dates remain prior to the install of Office 2019.

When I initiate Outlook 2019, there is a white entry screen in the middle of the page with a single field field for an email address. If a valid address is entered, the account cannot be located. If a new address is entered, it starts to walk through a setup. If the session is X'ed out / canceled, Outlook simply ends.

One curious aspect of the login is that after a valid email address is entered, a second screen asks for the IMAP password; all of my email accounts are POP3.

I've run a search on the C: drive and there are only four .PST files - the ones associated with my email accounts. In earlier versions of MS Office, I believe a shell .PST was setup during the installation but I can find no evidence of such a file on this computer.

8. AnObserver

Bassfisher

I apologize for the imprecise language of my first post. I am aware that the current version of MS Office needs to be replaced rather than updated. My procedure started with an uninstall of MS Office 2010. It was followed by an install of MS Office 2019. It was an 'upgrade' for me but an uninstall / install for my computer.

After the initial install, I uninstalled / reinstalled MS Office 2019 twice. After my initial load I thought there may have been a source problem or a loading problem because of the 'look' (icons, splash screens, etc.) and this Outlook problem. I saw no anomalies during the subsequent installations and decided to go with the last install. An Office update fixed the 'look' problem; I am still vexed by the Outlook problem.

MS Office 2019 is the only version of Office which is currently on my computer. I do not have / use MS Office 365.

9. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I did NOT say that it was opening up any of your PST files, I said that YOU need to open them.
    Go to File, Open & Export and then Open Outlook Data file.
    There you will need to browse to one of your PST files and select it and then open.
    You will need to do this for each one.

What are the 4 file names of these PST files?

If one of them is NOT Outlook.pst then that is why it is trying to get you to add a new account.

10. AnObserver

The first problem is that I cannot even get into Outlook 2019 to examine options or see what files are available. If I click on the Taskbar icon or the Outlook.exe in File Manager, it brings up the logon screen I described above. When I try to abandon the logon, the program ends. I have been unable to get into Outlook 2019 at all (except for the logon). It appears that the method you are describing is within Outlook 2019.

The four .PST files which I have are in the format '[email address].pst' where [email address] is the normal '[email protected]' format. All four email addresses are accounts I monitor. They are legitimate Outlook PST files as they were active in Outlook 2010 and have not changed since I started the Office 2019 install.

I tried to upload a screenshot of the Outlook Logon I get when I start Outlook but I am having troubles with the Upload Attachment funstion.

Attached Files:

11. AnObserver

I was able to attach the Outlook Logon screen.

12. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    OK, we just set up Outlook 365 on the wife's new laptop.
    One MUST set up with a email account then we imported her PST file for that account.

She is using only one email on the laptop.
    You may be able to then open the other PST files with out setting up and importing.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice