Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble installing an HDD as a storage drive

570 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got a new HDD
I have a gigabyte board with a 1TB MSI NVMe SSD
The HDD has Ubuntu installed on it and when I plug in the sata cable, no matter the boot order specified in my BIOS, it always boots from the HDD.
I cannot get my PC to boot Windows 11 with the SSD, even manually unless the HDD is disconnected.
Spent the better half of the last week trying to figure out why and what to do in order for me to boot into Windows so I can wipe the drive and use it as storage.
Anybody have any ideas?

SPECS

Motherboard: Gigabyte b460m ds3h
CPU: i7 10700f
GPU: EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3070
RAM: 16 GB of Oloy 3200 mhz
SSD: 1 TB MSI M370
HDD: 2 TB Seagate Enterprise

#4 ·
You are posting in a hardware forum and no one has any idea what gigabyte board you are running. Post your exact system specs. Many board mfg have bios updates that address M.2 compatibility however in this case it is unknown since we have no idea what board you are using.

Just for reference, when you install windows on a M.2 type drive, have only that drive connected. Pull the pw connectors from all other drives. The reason for this is that windows setup will install to whatever drive you want however it will install the boot files to the root of the drive on the first sata port ie sata 0 or 1 depending on the board mfg.

#5 ·
You are posting in a hardware forum and no one has any idea what gigabyte board you are running. Post your exact system specs. Many board mfg have bios updates that address M.2 compatibility however in this case it is unknown since we have no idea what board you are using.

Just for reference, when you install windows on a M.2 type drive, have only that drive connected. Pull the pw connectors from all other drives. The reason for this is that windows setup will install to whatever drive you want however it will install the boot files to the root of the drive on the first sata port ie sata 0 or 1 depending on the board mfg.
I apologize.
Motherboard: Gigabyte b460m ds3h
CPU: i7 10700f
GPU: EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3070
RAM: 16 GB of Oloy 3200 mhz
SSD: 1 TB MSI M370
HDD: 2 TB Seagate Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.