1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble installing graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spengenuk, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spengenuk

spengenuk Thread Starter

I have just installed a PNY nvidea geforce fx 5200 pci card on my sony rx301 pc(with integrated graphics), but when i plug my monitor into the new cards monitor output i just get a blank screen, i have followed the instructions to the letter about 3 times now, is my pc compatible or is it a simpler reason ?
    Thanks

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When I replaced the "on-board" ATI 3D Rage II+ video chip in my old desktop with an ATI Xpert 128 video card, I got nothing but a black monitor screen when I powered it up. I thought that I had done something wrong during the installation, then I realized that I had plugged the monitor right back into the disabled "on-board" port instead of the video card port. Once I plugged it into the correct port, all was okay.

You have disabled the "on-board" video chip and installed the drivers for the Nvidia video card?

3. replay

replay

if your motherboard has onboard (integrated) video? then you need to go into BIOS and disable the onboard video.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Or there may be a jumper on the motherbaord that has to be moved to disable the onboard video. Check your manual or download one from Sony.

In the BIOS setup, with the old card, look for a Primary video/display setting. If you find one set it to PCI or Add-In.

You can also try another PCI slot and make sure the card is fully seated; sometimes its hard to get the card in all the way.

5. spengenuk

spengenuk Thread Starter

How do i get into bios ?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You have to press the key listed on the screen when you first turn on the computer - before Windows loads. Its usually F1, F2, F10, DEL or a key like that. With you Sony you may have to press TAB or ESC to clear any Sony splash screen to see what you must press.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice