1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble installing HP 556s external drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lemming88, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemming88

lemming88 Thread Starter

Trouble installing external DVD drive: HP DVD 556s, drive not found
    Hi everyone,
    I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 running Windows XP. The internal dvd drive does not work - was last replaced in 2007 shortly after buying the computer. Its issue is, we put in a CD, and nothing happens. So, I just bought an external dvd drive, the HP dvd 556s, so that I can play a game. I hooked up the drive - the power indicator is blue which means it's drawing sufficient power from the USB port to run - and then popped in the installation CD.
    Installation did not autorun, so I went to My Computer. The drive is not showing. My Computer shows removable drives F-J and when I click on all of them, it says "please insert a disk into the drive". (I'm not sure what each of these drives is for - it's not my computer - but they all are still present even when the DVD drive is unplugged, so they can't be that.)
    The USB port works - I plugged in a wireless mouse and a webcam, both of which work, into the drive, and they still worked. The dvd drive says it is pulling sufficient power - the blue light is on which the manual says is good to go. When I pop in the install cd, it seems to spin briefly (hard to tell, it is a quiet drive) but nothing pops up on screen. I tried my game CD as well and of course nothing happened.
    Now, when I plugged in the wireless mouse to that same port, My Computer showed it up as drive L. Once I removed it drive L disappeared. I'm not quite sure what this means only that the new DVD drive does not seem to be recognized by the computer. I plugged it into other working ports and nada.
    I took the drive to Best Buy and they plugged it in and it worked for them. They let me swap it for an identical drive anyway, but the new drive STILL is not recognized.
    How can I get the computer to recognize the drive so I can install the software?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice