Trouble installing Linksys Wireless G PCI Adapter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dogmom228

First, I'm running a dell dimension 4400 with XP Pro 2002 Service Pack 3.

I.. uh... didn't follow the Linksys instructions and install the driver before I installed the hardware (OOPS). I took the hardware out and have been trying to install the drivers but the installation hangs at 30%. I tried putting the hardware back in but XP doesn't bring up the "install hardware" window, so I really don't know what to do. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Download the latest driver from Linksys and run the install from that. If that doesn't work install the card again. Go to the device manager and select the unknown network device and use the update driver option.

Hum:Have you tried booting in safe mode with networking,go into device manager.
See if you can delete the device entry,if found,for the recently added linksys hardware.

dogmom228

My problem with downloading is that I can't download to my desktop. My network hub is across the room. I don't have a long enough Cat5 cable to connect to my desktop. I'm sending these emails through my laptop.

dogmom228

How do I boot in safe mode again? Been quite a long time since I've had to do it.

Depends on your make and model pc.
Try pf 8 at boot up.
Or the first msgs that appear on booting will give you the keys for setup and boot sequence.
If downloads are required,then download to your laptop and export the downloads to a movable medium(thumb drive/cd etc) and copy them to your problem pc.

dogmom228

Thanks; I'll try this in a few minutes and let you know if I continue having problems.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online