Trouble installing new DVD Rom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hlmichel

I just purchased a new BTC 16X DVD ROM. Right from the start, it refused to work if installed on the same cable as my CD-RW. The computer would make it up to the Windows XP loading screen, but the screen would be very dim and the computer would freeze there.
I tried running the computer with just the DVD and everything seemed to run smoothly. I left it in this state for a couple of days while enjoying Sacred Underworld. When I decided to try changing the jumpers on both drives my power supply suddenly died--It was a crappy 300 watt supply.
So now my new 500 watt supply just arrived and I find that I can't get the computer to boot with the DVD at all. It doesn't matter if the CD RW is installed or not, or what position the jumper is in. The computer stops at a very dim XP loading screen.

Info about my computer: Mother board:Gigabyte GA 7N400S
RAM: 512 MB PC2700 (PNY)
CPU: Athlon 1.1 Ghz
Video: Asus V100 (32MB ram)

Thank's for any help

All i have to offer is that when a PSU fails it often takes other peices of hardware with it.:(

dustyjay

Jay
Hard drives and optical drives seem to be favorite munchies for power supplies when they burn out too!

hlmichel

Thank's for the quick replies. I solved the problem by making the DVD a slave to my hard drive--something that I really didn't want to do. I guess the DVD doesn't like the cable that the CD RW is using--it's a 40 pin where the hard drive is ATA 100 and has the 80 wire cable.
I'll just have to leave everything as is until I replace the harddrive(it's only 20 gig) with a SATA drive.

bearone2

Banned
i have always run cd's and cd burners on the same ide cable, 1 master, 1 slave.

now i've replaced the cd players with dvd players and still run 'em on the same cable.

what did the documentation for the dvd say about where to install.

fwiw:
i personally never have an optical device as a slave to the hd.

Had you tried switching the positions of the 2 Cd/DVD drives? I know some devices don't like to be slaves and or masters. Also, had you tried both cable select and slave/master settings?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
FWIW, I don't use 40 pin cables for anything anymore. New DVD writers come with a note that you should use an 80 conductor cable for maximum performance, and I've never run across one that had any issue with an 80 conductor cable.

hlmichel

I don't like to have anything as a slave to my hard drive, but nothing else would work. I tried the DVD as master, slave and with cable select. I also tried removing the CD RW.

But I have more news. In my last post I mentioned that I got the thing running. I went out for a few hours in the morning and when I came back the new power supply was dead. My wife told me she had heard a loud bang and then the computer just stopped. When I removed the power supply there was broken plastic inside.

I called the company where I bought it and they are sending a free replacement.

hlmichel

Okay, I am back with this issue again. I have found a workable solution, but am just trying to understand what is going on.

To recap: I got a better power supply and have had no trouble since.
The only issue I still have is that the computer hangs at the Window XP Logo screen with the DVD installed. The screen itself is greyed out. If it leave it alone for about five minutes it will suddenly start working and boot normally. Once it's up, there is about a 50% chance that the DVD will not show up.
Now, if there is a DVD in the drive during boot up the computer will start with no problems and the DVD will work fine.
Everything had been going fine for months--but that was because I am a Sacred Underworld player and that DVD stays in the drive always. I decided to take a break from the game, and had forgotten the 'other reason' that the disc was always in there. So I removed it.
I guess it's not a problem to keep a disc in the drive, but I just want to understand the reason for this. I've been googling for a couple of hours but have not found any thing yet.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online