1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble Installing Operating System On My Mini Dell Lap

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bretta01, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bretta01

Bretta01 Thread Starter

Hello,
    Can someone please help me. I have a mini laptop a Dell Inspiron. These particular mini laptops did not come with internal cd rom drives. Unfortunately it crashed and i am trying to reload the operating system. Since, this is a mini laptop it didnt come with a cd rom drive, so i'd recently purchased a portable drive to reload with windows operating system. Now the problem i am having is this:
    • First it wouldnt boot from the hard drive so i had to configure it to boot from the external cd rom drive
    • Once i did this, it goes the the window set up screen and says that "setup is loading files......." etc...etc....
    • After it load the files..it takes me to the "Windows XP Welcome Screen"
    • Then it says "to set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
    • I press Enter then it takes me to the Licensing Agreement page to install Window XP Home Edition Service Pack 3
    NOW HERE IS THE PROBLEM. It's aksing me to read the agreement carefully and press F8=I agree, ESC=I donot agree BUT it would let me press anything. I know the keys are working because i had to press keys on the previous screen. THIS IS FAR AS I AM GETTING. CAN ANYONE HELP?????

I am using the CD that came with the computer - by DELL. The CD that I am using says "OPERATING SYSTEM - Reinstallation CD a- Recovery Media for Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Product Service Pack 3.

It also says: "Only us this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell Computer".

Since this is the first time this computer has crashed, this is my first time using the CD. I actually just opened it from it's package which was sealed.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP? THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY TIME AND ADVICE YOU CAN ME:D

2. Techtatane

Techtatane

Hi Bretta01

Why do you want to reinstall ?
    what do you mean by crash ? what happen when you start from hard drive ?

if you can not install you may have a problem whith harddrive or memory !

please tell me what really happen to this computer .

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!