1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble installing second hard drive in Dell Studio 1747 notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morthian, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Morthian

Morthian Thread Starter

Upon removing the bottom panel on my Dell Studio 1747 notebook to install a second hard drive, I found there is no drive bay or connector present for the second hard drive. The hard drive came with nothing more than itself. What should I do?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the Dell Studio 1747 laptop.

Here is the on-line service manual for it.

Here is the section for removing/replacing hard drives.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Morthian

Morthian Thread Starter

I already looked at this; it assumes those components are already in my computer.
    ...Or was there something I missed?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I just provided you with the links that I thought would be helpful to you.

I've never owned nor worked on a laptop that has 2 separate compartments for installing 2 separate hard drives, so I can't tell you why your laptop isn't set up to accept 2 hard drives.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Unless im missing something you cant put 2 hard drives in a laptop. a tower one yes, a laptop no. laptops are so compact that you just have enough room for the ram, 1 hard drive at a time etc.theres only so much room. if you want an extra hard drive you might want to try an external one.if you could put a second hard drive in a laptop it would have to be quite a large laptop and not very practical.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Some laptops are indeed designed to accept 2 hard drives. You can also buy kits to replace the optical drive with another hard drive.

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    There is an option on some laptops to get an extra bay instead of a cd drive. so yes it can be done if you really choose to go that route.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    There are actually a few laptop models that allow the installation of 2 hard drives.

I checked the service manual for the Dell Studio 1747, and it does shows images for installing a second one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

9. Morthian

Morthian Thread Starter

Yeah, it's a fairly large notebook (17" widescreen), but it serves my needs very well as my primary computer.

I contacted Dell and they told me I need to contact the sales department and buy the drive bay... which is some serious bs, especially considering I am still under warranty... but whatever; I don't feel like even trying to put up a fight with Dell over something small and inexpensive.

10. hartzog86

hartzog86

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You could buy a Sata to Usb enclosure/converter and use it as an external.

That would probably be cheaper than buying a drive bay adaptor.

The bay adaptor is probably an optional extra and not covered by any warranty.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1000807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice