1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trouble installing Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by darrinrogers, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darrinrogers

darrinrogers Thread Starter

Needed to REinstall Win7. So I burn an iso on my mac and put it in the tray. Reset boot priority to cdrom: disk boot failure.

I put in an old win XP disc that I know works and it seems to work fine. CD will work but DVD won't? Or something wrong with the burn? I have another pc and it seems willing to install from inside Windows. Made 3 copies of Win 7 and none work. The first I burned I think incorrectly by just burning a straight ISO. the Second and third I burned all the data on the disk right onto the DVD using Toast Titanium and it was a verified burn. USB key unfortunately not really an option at this point unless I can do it from a Mac. (I have my wife's work PC but it's locked down and the command prompt doesn't give me access to system 32). Thank you!

2. darrinrogers

This is a custom build that had Win 7 on it with no problems for some time now. It's an older Raptor 74 10k drive as OS and gaming drive with multiple drives in addition. Phenom quad core something cpu and an Asus SLI Deluxe board. Not sure the rest matters. Haven't had any hardware problems, just kind of got bloated and seemed like it needed a clean install, then I got careless and acquired some viruses while I was .. surfing. So I figured it was time. At first it just didn't work but I was still able to get back into virusy Windows, but then through a few different processes apparently something happened and that was no longer working. C drive since been formatted so that's done for. I attempted to install XP onto one of the other drives and do the install from within Windows but they come up as unformatted 131gb drives and I'm not going to format my storage drives. I used to have a crappy little drive with xp on it for just these sorts of times, can't find it. I've been out of the tech scene for quite some time so I'm pretty rusty, I'm also crabby and not really thinking straight so it's probably just me being short bus and having some simple oversight.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Where did you download the ISO from?

4. darrinrogers

[link deleted by mod], it was a highly trusted DL. Is that going to be a problem? Do I have to re-read the forum rules?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'm not going to visit the link, but if you downloaded it and didn't pay for it and receive a COA and key, then it's illegal, and we can't help you with it.

6. darrinrogers

Okay I understand, thank you for your time.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yep, a review of the rules is in order. :) Closing.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!